MBYX config

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBYX

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
This laptop is a dual boot win10(VMWARE) / ubuntu(VIRTUALBOX) system i use for research (i avoid personal data stored on it).

• Currently im favouring the Ubuntu - Virtualbox side and have it mostly setup to what i would like.
  • Ill look to finish out the win10 - VMware build, as time permits.

does anyone have suggestions on a fake DNS tool to trick malware ?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This laptop is a dual boot Windows 10(VMWARE) / ubuntu(VIRTUALBOX) system i use for research (i avoid personal data stored on it).
Could you clarify your setup:

You dual boot both Windows 10 and Ubuntu under different VM software, but no mention of which Linux distro runs as your primary OS?

MBYX

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
Could you clarify your setup:

You dual boot both Windows 10 and Ubuntu under different VM software, but no mention of which Linux distro runs as your primary OS?

The Host operating systems are
windows 10
Ubuntu
I have various VMS under each host system. The Ubuntu (Vbox) side having Kali, Secuirty Onion, Remnux, Win7, Win10 and a few other VM's.
I have the Kali VM setup as a transparent proxy between NAT & Internal network to capture traffic in wireshark etc.
Wanted to put in a SIEM like OSSIM but was limited by the laptops DDR2 ram :(

I also need to fix up Cuckoo, it turns out a lot of the optional features should actually be required features to get meaningful results.

My plan is to use the Windows side to look at Linux targeting malware and use the Linux side to look at Unknown or Windows targeting malware.

Does anyone have experience at memory dump analysis? (VOLATLITY). I could use some mentoring at a later point.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Stating Linux as your OS is very vague, so I would change it to Ubuntu - if that is your most used OS.

Do you have another computer or laptop, that you use for non-forensics use (ie. Internet, Emails, Office-ware etc)?

MBYX

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
cuckoo up and running

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 375

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As this system is used for testing, I can only suggest to take Caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.