McAfee 2017 - I KNOW But This is Different.

Have you tried any McAfee 2017 products?

• Yes

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • No, but I will

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 59.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
For few years now McAfee been quite ok, at least in the Endpoint side of things.
It is just that whenever someone mention McAfee, every biased user jumps on it to put it down without trying.

I have used 2015 and 2016 home versions without any issues, and been a long time user of endpoint solution.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I haven't used Mcafee in years, but thought I'd try out their new 2017 version for fun. It's fast, and much different than previous editions.

We should have some of you guys who are skilled at testing, give it a shake.
Yeah, Intel now owns it and that's making a big difference ;)
There is a thread around here too for requesting tests

R

Rodney74

Thread author
Well the latest AV "LAB" Tests were all with the older version.

Supposedly the 2017 version, with some new features, and cloud work, according to McAfee would have rocked the AV Labs results...

ouyangx

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2015
I`ve used the newest version, with security center marching to 15.1 for like a week, and the detection pattern and detection rate have been changed dramatically.

The behavioral detection module called RealProtect have been applied to the latest version, so there are some surprises when you do some tests of running malware, but sadly one ransomware still bypassed it on my 2nd computer and I had to reinstall the whole system.

Threats can only be detected as "suspect" or "JTI/Suspect!101076"

No more Artimis's presence in the protection.

And the file extension the new product can handle have greatly reduce as well.

Still waiting for Mcafee to improve the cloud detection and Realprotect, for their capability right now are far worse than what it was in old versions.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Well, it probably did get better, considering the fact it could hardly get worse. :p

Nah, I dunno. McAfee's been a mess for the better part of its existence, so I'll pass. ;)

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I have purchased Mcafee Antivirus Plus 1 year unlimited devices. Honestly, one week and Mcafee was removed from the system. It does not matter how much resources it uses but, believe me, it is very heavy on the system! For me the most important part is the performace I will never ever sacrifice performace for the sake of security!

Reactions: iAwake
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.