McAfee Internet Security 2016

Product name
McAfee Internet Security 2016
Pros
  • - good firewall (Base Filtering Engine service and Windows Firewall service based)
    - parental control
    - good web protection (web advisor)
    - file shredder that operates on four levels of overwriting (but use standard algorithms for secure files deletion)
    - vulnerabilities scanner: controls software updates (not accurate) including Windows update (good)
    - antispam
    - excellent detection of known malware
    - zero false positives but ... when it comes to antivirus no matter what it finds, but the malware that manage to pass.
    - unexpectedly light on monitor-mode
    - QuickClean removes residues of old software or cookies (no bloatware but little needed)
    -Traffic Monitor, a valuable tool that shows how much data they are entering and exiting the system, and what applications they are using.
    - threat map, World report about safety ... interesting
    - network management
CONS
- MIS does not include a secure browser for banking and shopping online
- no specific ransomware protection (Bitdefender) and webcam protection (Kaspersky).
- not exceptional 0day detection
- high impact on system performance when scanning
- MIS does not offer a recovery disk, which you could use to start and disinfect a system. A function present in other AVs, directly included in the software or in form of free downloads.
- the first full scan took about 40 minutes (slow because the index files) about 20 minutes later.
- slow installation (but no problems).
- in my country MIS costs about 80 euros (about $ 87) it seems high compared to the competitors
BOTTOM LINE
MIS offers valid protection, although not exceptional and there is no specific ransomware protection. Anti-malware scanner has a very high impact on system performance during complete scans but when the AV is on monitor-mode, the PC reactivity is positive.
Good asset tools.
L

LabZero

Thread author
Tested on my Windows 7 Pro X 64, Intel Celeron B830 processor,1.8 Ghz , 4 GB RAM

Positive impression, McAfee Internet Security has some features usually found only in high-end antivirus as the system for the destruction of the files, network management and vulnerability scanner, a decent malware protection and a good firewall management.
As always I made a quick detection test with 12 fresh samples (trojan, adware, ransomware) and MIS found 7/12 and starting the remaining undetected samples the result hasn't changed. In comparison ZAM found 9/12 malware.

RAM usage in monitor-mode

Cattura.PNG

RAM usage during full scan

Cattura1.PNG

Cattura4.PNG
Cattura3.PNG

Cattura5.PNG

PS: despite the founder (John McAfee) said that this antivirus is a colander ... it doesn't sound so bad.

Thanks for reading:)

Last edited by a moderator:

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Well, high RAM usage while doing full scan is normal for antivirus because it have to load the signature files from the hard drive into the RAM, so I would say is not that bad product after all, and it still doing better than Norton. However, I'm still rock n roll with Kaspersky Internet Security 2016.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
We should stop a lot of allegations and misconceptions to McAfee, cause through the years its became reliable even though suffers a lot of problematic on development + the protection components it has. They provide interesting features that focus within perspective on home and business users like Artemis Technology that does provide a total blockage on suspicious threats.

Although when it comes on the comparison there are some alternative that established least enough of problems.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Good one bro i agree with this part: "- in my country MIS costs about 80 euros (about $ 87) it seems high compared to the competitors" here is also too expensive :(

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Good one bro i agree with this part: "- in my country MIS costs about 80 euros (about $ 87) it seems high compared to the competitors" here is also too expensive :(
80 euros = Sandboxie + AppGuard (at least)

Definitely not worth it. :D

Reactions: Hangtooth

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Tested on my Windows 7 Pro X 64, Intel Celeron B830 processor,1.8 Ghz , 4 GB RAM

Positive impression, McAfee Internet Security has some features usually found only in high-end antivirus as the system for the destruction of the files, network management and vulnerability scanner, a decent malware protection and a good firewall management.

PS: despite the founder (John McAfee) said that this antivirus is a colander ... it doesn't sound so bad.

Thanks for reading:)

As expected, McAfee Internet Security is a standardized, conventional security package that should provide sufficient security for the average end-user, without, however, promising capable management of more advanced threats.

Thanks for the detailed review! :p

McAfee has come a long way for a few years already. Its memory usage in home version products are however a bit high sometimes.
I was never fond of their home versions because I use their Endpoint solutions which include a decent Web Control, more granular firewall and other options.

Is McAfee highly configurable?
Home version: not really. You will have decent amounts to tweak but that is about it. In fact, you do not really do tweak much at all. Out of the box works fine.

Endpoint version offers a bit more if you know what you are doing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.