• ZeroAccess[/SPOILER

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I have ever heard that stinger is difficult to uninstall.
Is that true?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Stinger is not installed...simply remove/delete the .exe file and any leftover logfiles if wanted.

Reactions: Online_Sword

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Stinger is not installed...simply remove/delete the .exe file and any leftover logfiles if wanted.

It's a as good as portable application no need to install

I find the following information in wilderssecurity:

McAfee Stinger has been removed from the Portable App Directory due to malware-like behavior. Running the current releases of McAfee Stinger on any Windows PC will automatically install the 'McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service' (mfevtps.exe) to the local machine without a prominent notice to the user. There is a reference to it only buried in the EULA. Once installed, these files are exceedingly difficult to remove. No entry is made in Add/Remove Programs or Uninstall a Program, a service is installed and set to automatically start with Windows, the service can not be Stopped by the end user. This behavior is unacceptable from any application, portable or not. It should be noted that the service left behind does not appear to do anything nefarious to the local machine. It could simply be an error by the publisher, but it has not been addressed since it began occurring a couple weeks ago.

I am not sure whether this problem still exists in the current version or not.

Reactions: XhenEd

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I find the following information in wilderssecurity:
McAfee Stinger has been removed from the Portable App Directory due to malware-like behavior. Running the current releases of McAfee Stinger on any Windows PC will automatically install the 'McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service' (mfevtps.exe) to the local machine without a prominent notice to the user. There is a reference to it only buried in the EULA. Once installed, these files are exceedingly difficult to remove. No entry is made in Add/Remove Programs or Uninstall a Program, a service is installed and set to automatically start with Windows, the service can not be Stopped by the end user. This behavior is unacceptable from any application, portable or not. It should be noted that the service left behind does not appear to do anything nefarious to the local machine. It could simply be an error by the publisher, but it has not been addressed since it began occurring a couple weeks ago.
I am not sure whether this problem still exists in the current version or not.

I suspect it's an issue connected within the software Portableapps and people using Windows XP rather then Stinger itself but I could be wrong. Personal I don't see any leftover on my pc so for me it aint an issue. :)

Reactions: Online_Sword

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McAfee Stinger 12.1.0.1772 (Build Date: 22-Oct-2015)
Stinger Release Notes

Enhanced detections are those that have been modified for this release. Detections are enhanced to cover new variants, optimize performance, and correct incorrect identifications.

New Detections:
• W32/Ramnit.i

Enhanced Detections:
• Exploit-CVE2015-5119
• Generic Downloader.z
• Generic Exploit.g
• Generic Trojan.i
• PWS-Zbot
• Ransom-O
• W32/Autorun.worm.c
• W32/Autorun.worm.i

Changelog (http://downloadcenter.mcafee.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger/Readme.txt)
Download (Stinger | McAfee Free Tools)

Reactions: ouyangx
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.