How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
BitLocker Device Encryption for Windows
Log-in security
    • Hardware security key
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
    • Basic account password (insecure)
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
  • Protection level is set to "Hypersensitive"
  • Web Protection level is set to "High"
Periodic malware scanners
  • Malwarebytes
    • Version: 5.1.0.102
    • Update package version: 1.0.82634
    • Component package version: 1.0.1179
  • HitmanPro
    • Version: 3.8.34
    • Build: 330
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Secure DNS
Open to recommondations.
Desktop VPN
  • Proton VPN
    • Version: 3.2.10
      • Protocol: Smart
      • Server: Fastest
Password manager
Maintenance tools
I use CCleaner, but open to recommendations.
File and Photo backup
Active subscriptions
    • Apple One Individual
    • Apple iCloud+ 2TB
System recovery
Open to MalwareTips on what they recommend. I have been using Acronis for years now.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Coding and development
Computer specs
Laptop:
- - - - - -

Peripherals:
What I'm looking for?

Looking for maximum feedback.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
FAQ:

Q: Why do you use Trend Micro all the time?
A: I believe that the protection for me is enough. Also been using it for years.

Q: What phone do you have?
A: Currently it's the iPhone 13 Pro Max. My phone configuration can be found here.

Q: What do you do on your computer?
A: I work in an office as a Desktop Support Analyst, but in my spare time I build websites and offer IT Support to my small client base.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Great config, thanks for posting (y)

Malware Scanners: Norton Power Eraser and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are better than Malwarebytes and HitmanPro according to testing done by @cruelsister
Extensions: why 3 adblocking extensions? I would keep only uBlock Origin.
Secure DNS: I would recommend Cloudflare for families malware blocking only (1.1.1.2).
Fast and blocks some malware, others like Quad9 and dns0.eu (based on NextDNS) gave me issues (blocked portal of my GP).

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Great config, thanks for posting (y)

Malware Scanners: Norton Power Eraser and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are better than Malwarebytes and HitmanPro according to testing done by @cruelsister
Extensions: why 3 adblocking extensions? I would keep only uBlock Origin.
Secure DNS: I would recommend Cloudflare for families malware blocking only (1.1.1.2).
Fast and blocks some malware, others like Quad9 and dns0.eu (based on NextDNS) gave me issues (blocked portal of my GP).

I do have Norton Power Eraser in my tools, but tend not to use it much.
Also to note, I don’t do antivirus testing these days, so threat level has significantly decreased.

You say tests done by cruelsister, are they reputable tests done?

As for extensions, I’ve been using 3 for years now and those same 3. I do like Ghostery over rest of them. Plus with the custom features and blocking in Brave.

I have looked into Cloudflare. I run that on my own website and have had no issues.
Might have to look into it.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I do have Norton Power Eraser in my tools, but tend not to use it much.
Also to note, I don’t do antivirus testing these days, so threat level has significantly decreased.

You say tests done by cruelsister, are they reputable tests done?
An easier way to check out some of her videos is through her YouTube channel. They are of course posted on MTs, but this simplifies a search for them :) And yes, they are reputable, easy to follow and understand along with some fantastic background music as a bonus.

Reactions: Nevi

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Yes, all other configs give out their security layers, but having the exact version number makes it possible to locate exploits. Exploits usually work only for specific version #s.

Mar 10, 2024
Okay, so from this forum, how do they find his PC even if they have version numbers? How do they exploit a PC from a forum (information) where there is no PC link of an IP or mac address and is a fictitious user name?
Although I rolled my eyes up above, to be fair, a skilled hacker could find both servers from this website, look for exploitable entry in the servers and the data housed on them, where the website itself maintains email address, IP's, along with users names and then combine the knowledge of openly placing your security configuration would arm them with enough knowledge to attempt on those IPs.

Thus the current "good habits" campaign I've been on about being diligent with what information one divulges on the internet.

Although its highly unlikely a skilled hacker would do this for a home users as stated before, its not lucrative like a giant target would be.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
not lucrative like a giant target would be.
Unless the organisation that the OP works for is being footprinted. The Lastpass hack involved attacking an admin employee at his home, and the attackers worked their way from there back to the organisation.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024
Unless the organisation that the OP works for is being footprinted. The Lastpass hack involved attacking an admin employee at his home, and the attackers worked their way from there back to the organisation.
That's a highly targeted attack and rare for home users, you don't hear about it happening too often to every day folk, and how they obtained his true information to attack him at home would need revealed into how they found him.

Although a security based forum not keeping an eye on its servers would certainly be something to raise an eyebrow on, I highly doubt the above mentioned is going to affect the users with alternative user names showing configuration.

P.s. if this is a topic all would like to discuss we should move it to a personalized thread so as to not hijack mclovins config thread.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Erase the version #'s you posted. Hackers love that kind of thing.
I understand your concern with this, but the chance someone “hacks” my system is slim.
I do not work from home for the company I work for, and any personal activities are not done on my work assets while at work.
If you have uBlock Origin, in my opinion you don't need Adblock Plus or Ghostery, just add TrafficLight.
I’ll have to have a look this weekend. I’m more leaning towards Ghostery.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.