MCShield - any good?

MCShield is useful with a resident antivirus?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
MCShield hasn't been developed since 2014 and the databases are that old too.

Is there any point of using the program while running a resident antivirus like Qihoo TS?

What is it good at compared to antivirus programs?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Quote from Q&A - Why do some people still suggest MCShield?

The programs software was last updated in 2014, but doesn't mean it won't receive updates within the program. @TwinHeadedEagle may be able to provide a better answer.

Translated with Google Translate:
People MCShield not need any updating. Updates to the events if someone eventually sign FP or if you come out with a new malware that MCShield can not cope, and this is not something new occurs. MCShield is now updated to cover all known malware techniques that benefits would not be spread via USB. When something new comes, then it will probably MCShield bit Update and updated.
Source: MCShield v3

You could compare it with other USB Immunisers; Bitdefender, Panda etc.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think it depends on what AV you are using.
If you are using avast, avira, eset, WD, qihoo, BD,... you don't need MCShield

however, if you are using norton, you need MCShield. My previous experience with norton USB protection was horrible. Also 0 protection even the option was checked in settings. System was infected
also kaspersky (not sure), because KIS USB scanning is ridiculously slow. Not everyone wants to scan their USBs every time even with quick scan. Still extremely slow

Reactions: sunshineboy

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

however, if you are using norton, you need MCShield. My previous experience with norton USB protection was horrible. Also 0 protection even the option was checked in settings. System was infected
also kaspersky (not sure), because KIS USB scanning is ridiculously slow. Not everyone wants to scan their USBs every time even with quick scan. Still extremely slow

So it is superfluous when you have Qihoo 360TS installed?

Reactions: Xsjx

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm using MCShield and USB Disk Security in addition to a AV/AM for protection.

They don't use much overhead and they autoscan when you insert a USB flash stick/SSD. So far I know of is BD free autoscans the USB device upon insertion. Many AV protect or prompt user to scan but don't autoscan when you insert a USB device

Even such autoscans are limited scan only. Many such programs use heuristics or some sort of advanced proactive protection techniques which don't rely on virus definitions although some do depend on virus definitions for scanning as well

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I use MCShield and USB Disk Security in addition to a AV/AM for protection

Honestly I believe USB Disk Security is crap, if it weren't so it should be good enough to protect PCs from USB malwares. This is based on the number of infected PCs that I repaired that have USB Disk Security installed.

Add EAM to the list, never had problems with USB worms.

McShield is not needed for those who can setup up or configure their security much better than the average Joe.

However, if you deal with lots of worm infected USBs just like here at the shop, it's ok to have an automatic fast scanner plus you have the option to enable in McShield to automatically unhide all hidden files and folders which is faster than doing an ATTRIB in case your AV/AM won't do that for you.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Honestly I believe USB Disk Security is crap, if it weren't so it should be good enough to protect PCs from USB malwares. This is based on the number of infected PCs that I repaired that have USB Disk Security installed.

USB Disk Security once detected a trojan on a USB stick so I know it works.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.