MDRockstar configuration

MDRockstar

Thread author
Dec 14, 2011
Trying zonealarm right now with anvi smart defender and it is light on my system.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
if you want more solid again, Treat unrecognized files as Untrusted.
Untrusted - The application is not allowed to access any of the operating system resources. The application is not allowed to execute more than 10 processes at a time and is run with very limited access rights.

read Comodo Help about it and all about Comodo settings. this http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-284-3037-Execution-Control-Settings.html

by the way, why you didn't add malwarebytes as on-demand scanner?

MDRockstar

Thread author
Dec 14, 2011
About malawarebytes i just added it to my setup. I forgot it. For CIS to put the sandbox to untrusted would not be a problem for me but for my girlfriend it will be. I'm thinking of removing comodo and add avast with windows 7 firewall for my girlfriend.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Yes. sometimes, girls does not like something confusing. avast is a good choice for your girlfriend.

MDRockstar

Thread author
Dec 14, 2011
thanks!
I will make the change for avast free (settings set to high) ,windows 7 firewall,panda url filter and norton dns.

what do you think about it ?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Solid one. If you want, add SuperAntiSpyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/

About what you said: "I will make the change for avast free (settings set to high) ,windows 7 firewall,panda url filter and norton dns."
I agree with it.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
If you want, add SuperAntiSpyware.

He has Hitman Pro & Malwarebytes. That's more then enough for ON-D. SAS detection rate has gone down the drain I wouldn't suggest using it anyway.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello MDRockstar and Welcome!

Real time protection:
CIS is a very solid product which should keep you safe... If you have the time , you can follow this guide to better configure CIS to see if you can increase your security.

Additional browser protection:
It's time you start using a password manager ,this won't just make your life easier on the web but it will also increase your security as you'll be able to use very strong passwords thus better securing your online accounts.
LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

You can install the bellow add-on so that any downloaded file via Firefox will be checked with 43 AV engines from Virustotal.com
VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

Virtualization:
You should give Sandboxie a try, really useful when opening to unknown/suspicious apps or going to shady/unknown sites (not that you should do that ..but it happens sometimes in real life)
Watch the below video with Sandboxie at work :

Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

FrontPageAnimation.gif

FrontPageLegend.png

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

You should always have in mind that the first line of defense on any system is the USER so you can really decrease the changes of an infection by practicing a smart online behavior.
Read : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-avoid-malware
Again welcome! As for you girfriend config , you can start a new thread as we need to know her General computer knowledge,Level of security risk,Operating system,OS architecture.. etc... :D

Last edited:

MDRockstar

Thread author
Dec 14, 2011
Thanks everyone for your comments. Well i think that i am ok using hitman pro and malawarebytes. Superantispyware detection rate is not that great.

Thanks Jack for the information. I will surely add Lastpass, vtzilla and probably Emet.

Is EMET user friendly for my girlfriend ? (for me its not a problem).

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
MDRockstar said:
Is EMET user friendly for my girlfriend ? (for me its not a problem).
It's not for novice users but I guess you can configure this program for her.... It should keep her safe from exploits:D

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Out of curiosity, why do you think you have a high level of security risk?

Solid config but do you have any backup plan?

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
if you want backup plan.
you can using Easus Todo this for details.
this http://www.easeus.com/
or, Paragon Backup & Recovery
this http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

MDRockstar

Thread author
Dec 14, 2011
hi Tom172, i think i have the security level set to high because my girlfriend always click on link receive by email and always go to websites that i wouln't trust.

I don't have backup plan at this time but i will think about paragon . My important files are copied on my usb stick.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
MDRockstar said:
hi Tom172, i think i have the security level set to high because my girlfriend always click on link receive by email and always go to websites that i wouln't trust.

I don't have backup plan at this time but i will think about paragon . My important files are copied on my usb stick.

Windows 7 has a Backup solution built right in, however feel free to try Paragon if you wish to.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
MDRockstar said:
Just make her use Sandboxie :D ..
After you'll install sandboxie you'll have an icon like this on your desktop, you just need to change the icon so that she will think that it's firefox....
FXkuz.png

Right click on the icon and select Properties, then chose Change Icon.
If you're default browser is Firefox you can add this value into the 'Look for icons in this file' field :
Code:
%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
s4LvG.png

After you'll click Apply you should have something like this
Vft0o.png

Just re-name it to 'Firefox' and then you are good to go..... She'll always browse the internet in a virtual environment, which should keep your system very safe.

Sandboxie review :

Last edited:
P

Plexx

Although I have used Bufferzone on the 32bit system I have on VMware, I found Sandboxie to be a bit better.

With Bufferzone for some reason I had some errors randomly and 1 BSOD.

I should probably test again to see what exactly happened since I still have the OS.

As for the Config: +1 rep.

Below are my additional recommendations:

Additional Real Time Protection:
*Panda URL Filter (google Panda Toolbar, Install Panda Toolbar and then Remove the Panda Toolbar) - It does work with CIS .

Add the following links into Adblock Plus:
*Easy Privacy: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.txt

*Malware: http://malwaredomains.lanik.us/malwaredomains_full.txt
Unlocking software for stuck applications (freeware):
*Unlocker 1.9.1 (32bit edition).

Backup of Image/hard disk:
One more that was not mentioned here: Macrium Reflect Free.

Do note however that Paragon cannot make a WINPE boot disk unlike EaseUS Todo; but it is still fine. I personally prefer Paragon.

Registry Defrag (freeware):
*Quicksys RegDefrag.

HDD Defrag (freeware):
*Auslogics Disk Defrag;
*Puran Defrag;
*Smart Defrag;
*If not, stick to Windows 7 Default Defrag.

Uninstaller:
*Revo Uninstaller Free;
*If not, stick to Windows's default uninstaller.

System Utilities (freeware):
*Advanced SystemCare 5 Free;
*CCleaner.

Toolbox for USB or external hard drive (never know when you will need it):
*Kaspersky TDSSKiller;
*Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE);
*Hitman Pro;
*Malware Bytes Anti-Malware (free version);
*GMER;
*Norton PE;
*Sysinternals Suite;
*Emsisoft Emergency Kit;
*Advanced System Care 5 Free.

Boot Disks/USB for maintenance:
*Hiren's Boot;
*Ubuntu Live CD for file recovery in case Files are not fully backed up and Backup itself is not the most updated one (this sure saved my files more than once).

MDRockstar

Thread author
Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for the info Biozfear i will certainly take a look at your list of applications.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.