Advice Request Meltdown vulnerability

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello
I just checked my PC and discovered that it is not protected against Meltdown vulnerability :eek:
Recent PC (2022 august), W11 Pro, Kaspersky Plus.
What can I do ?
Capture d’écran 2023-03-31 154128.png
Capture d’écran 2023-03-31 154043.png

Capture d’écran 2023-03-31 145457.png

Capture d’écran 2023-03-31 145524.png

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
If your PC is not protected against Meltdown vulnerability, you can take the following steps to mitigate the risk:

1. Ensure that all software on your PC is up-to-date, including your operating system, drivers, and applications.
2. Install the latest updates for your security software, including Kaspersky Plus.
3. Enable Windows Defender Application Guard or hardware virtualization-based security, if available on your PC.
4. Consider using a browser extension or plugin that blocks JavaScript, which is often used to exploit Meltdown vulnerabilities.
5. Disable any unnecessary services and features, such as remote access or sharing, to minimize your attack surface.

Additionally, you can visit the Microsoft website to download and install the latest security updates that address the Meltdown vulnerability.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
If your PC is not protected against Meltdown vulnerability, you can take the following steps to mitigate the risk:

1. Ensure that all software on your PC is up-to-date, including your operating system, drivers, and applications.
2. Install the latest updates for your security software, including Kaspersky Plus.
3. Enable Windows Defender Application Guard or hardware virtualization-based security, if available on your PC.
4. Consider using a browser extension or plugin that blocks JavaScript, which is often used to exploit Meltdown vulnerabilities.
5. Disable any unnecessary services and features, such as remote access or sharing, to minimize your attack surface.

Additionally, you can visit the Microsoft website to download and install the latest security updates that address the Meltdown vulnerability.
Hello @Bot
1. My PC is automatically updated
2. Kaspersky is automatically updated
3. Windows Defender Application Guard or hardware virtualization-based security is not available on my PC (W11 is installed over W10)

Capture d’écran 2023-03-31 165336.png
4. I'm using Adguard AdBlocker ; isn't it enough ?
5. No remote access enabled
6. Can i solve the problem if I change my security software ?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello @Bot
1. My PC is automatically updated
2. Kaspersky is automatically updated
3. Windows Defender Application Guard or hardware virtualization-based security is not available on my PC (W11 is installed over W10)

View attachment 274037
4. I'm using Adguard AdBlocker ; isn't it enough ?
5. No remote access enabled
6. Can i solve the problem if I change my security software ?
Changing your security software alone may not solve the Meltdown vulnerability issue. However, you can try switching to a security solution that provides additional protection against Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. You could look for security software that uses virtualization or hardware-based security features to mitigate the risks. Some examples of such solutions are Microsoft Defender Application Guard, Norton Security, and Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security. Additionally, make sure to keep your system and software up-to-date, disable any unnecessary services or features, and use a browser extension that blocks JavaScript to further enhance your protection.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and JB007

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Changing your security software alone may not solve the Meltdown vulnerability issue. However, you can try switching to a security solution that provides additional protection against Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. You could look for security software that uses virtualization or hardware-based security features to mitigate the risks. Some examples of such solutions are Microsoft Defender Application Guard, Norton Security, and Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security. Additionally, make sure to keep your system and software up-to-date, disable any unnecessary services or features, and use a browser extension that blocks JavaScript to further enhance your protection.
Adguard AdBlocker is not good ??? What else ? :)coffee:;))
Another question, How can I disable "Bot" ? 🤖

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Adguard AdBlocker is not good ??? What else ? :)coffee:;))
Another question, How can I disable "Bot" ? 🤖
Adguard AdBlocker is a good ad-blocking solution, but it may not provide complete protection against Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. Using a security solution that uses virtualization or hardware-based security features, as mentioned earlier, may further improve your protection against these vulnerabilities.

As for disabling the bot, you cannot disable me as I am a virtual assistant designed to respond to your queries on this forum topic. However, I will only respond to your messages when you specifically address me or mention me in your post.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Adguard AdBlocker is a good ad-blocking solution, but it may not provide complete protection against Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. Using a security solution that uses virtualization or hardware-based security features, as mentioned earlier, may further improve your protection against these vulnerabilities.

As for disabling the bot, you cannot disable me as I am a virtual assistant designed to respond to your queries on this forum topic. However, I will only respond to your messages when you specifically address me or mention me in your post.
And Kaspersky is not good against Meltdown ?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
And Kaspersky is not good against Meltdown ?
Kaspersky provides protection against Meltdown vulnerability by detecting and blocking malicious programs that exploit this vulnerability. However, it is essential to keep your Kaspersky security software up-to-date with the latest security patches to ensure optimal protection against this and other security threats. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, using a security solution that uses virtualization or hardware-based security features may further improve your protection against Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities.

Reactions: roger_m
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Hello
I just checked my PC and discovered that it is not protected against Meltdown vulnerability :eek:
What can I do ?
You have to contact your hardware OEM and ask for their Meltdown vulnerability patch file.

I would do that before you try any of the fixes provided at numerous online sources.

You should use only an OEM or Microsoft provided solution. Plus, if you do it wrong, it can bork your machine.

Look here under

1680275555939.png

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
You have to contact your hardware OEM and ask for their Meltdown vulnerability patch file.

I would do that before you try any of the fixes provided at numerous online sources.

You should use only an OEM or Microsoft provided solution. Plus, if you do it wrong, it can bork your machine.

Look here under

View attachment 274038
Thanks @Oerlink
I have an Intel NUC 11 TNK i5

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Thanks @Oerlink
I have an Intel NUC 11 TNK i5
Intel does not provide the fix. The laptop or PC manufacturer provides the fix.

Intel, if it provides a fix, will provide only a generic one - instead of one for the specific platform.

If you have a generic or self-built system, then you'll have to start with Intel, then check Microsoft for a fix.

• Thanks
Reactions: JB007

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What can I do ?
To put it simply, nothing, since hardware/software devs chose to support only certain devices. I have disabled mitigations for the performance gain, I consider this vulnerability overrated.
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v "FeatureSettingsOverride" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v "FeatureSettingsOverrideMask" /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
Performance hits of between 5-30% (depending on workload) were seen in early testing of software fixes, but the effect has been nowhere as severe in practice

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Edited: the Meltdown button doesn't work for some reason so forget what I said about that. :rolleyes:

It actually shows the same thing and I can't enable Meltdown. But anyway, that's the extent of my messing with it. Maybe adding the key manually might help.

Example

Scroll to the middle of the page under FAQ for the Meltdown registry values.

Edited to remove text about enabling Meltdown via the InSpectre UI. It doesn't work on here.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JB007

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hello
What can I do ?
View attachment 274021View attachment 274022
View attachment 274025

View attachment 274024
Meltdown vulnerability fix is done at bios level and at software level and if one part is missing the test will fail. Search your pc manufacturers website and download the latest bios version and install it ( bios software don't get auto updated, you will have to install it manually). This will fix your system.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JB007 and roger_m

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Thanks all :)
My BIOS was updated a week ago.
I though that recent CPU (mine is an Intel Core 11th Gen) are patched agains these kind of vulnerabilities ?!:unsure:
If my understanding is good (@TairikuOkami ), it is not very important to fix this Meltdown vulnerablity ?:unsure:
Capture d’écran 2023-04-01 152043.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.