Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Too low memory
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Memory upgrading soon
Hello friends,

Going to do my first memory upgrade. I've matched my Computer specs to the needed type of memory.

Now for the main question I have,

I was wondering if it's okay to use a 1GB RAM with a 512 MB? The 512 (64/64 DDR DIMM) chip currently running on this PC is speed PC-3200. which is a faster speed then the 1GB 2700 (I found to buy) ... is the speed difference between 3200 and 2700 a big difference? (Would run at the lower speed) :?

The only 1GB DDR 3200 memory is 18 dollars more, and rare :\

Will the different brands, speeds, and amount total of memory clash too much, even if it matches the desktop model to exact?

Memory to buy,
  • Type: DDR
  • Size: 1GB
  • Pin Count: 184
  • Speed: PC-2700 333Mhz
  • ECC: No
  • Voltage: 2.5V
  • CAS Latency: 2.5
  • Component Configuration: 128Meg x 64
This item is designed to work with the Compaq HP Presario SR1115CL.

My System Information
  • ECC: FALSE
  • Form Factor: DIMM
  • Maximum Memory: 2048
  • Memory Comments: PC2700 DDR SDRAM DIMMs
  • Module Type: PC-2700
  • Standard Memory: 512
  • System Type: Desktop/Server
  • Total Memory Slots: 2

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Which Operating System are you using? XP or Linux.
Do you use this PC for intensive tasks or lite usage such as browsing,word,excel etc
For lite usage 1GB upgrade would suffice & you will not notice any difference.
For heavy use, try to buy PC-3200 stick.
IMO you're better off buying new PC this Christmas.

I would like to hear expert opinions regarding this topic since I'm a noob here.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Currently using Windows XP Home Edition SP3.

This PC bought in November 2004, but newer PC's I been able to afford haven't impressed me enough to dive in, a memory upgrade (I assume) will suit my needs fine.

I don't really play games on this PC much, and only need enough to cover Anti-virus upgrades and the ability to multi-task (such as two browsers open etc), better youtube and website browsing abilities.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
If you remove bloatware from PC it becomes good as new.
Yes 1.5 GB RAM will result in snappier performance.

Bloat is gone/removed, this PC is pretty quick for only having a 512 RAM. Only problem is lack of memory when using youtube / heavy browsers /anti-virus updates and the like...

You could get away with 512 pre-2012, but with new browser functions, more demanding websites and programs, more RAM needed is obvious.

I keep this PC running as a main desktop, because I have a system recovery, and backups for it. Also a FAT32 drive with the windows system files. So important files are not all on the hard drive, but a seperate one.

eBay has good deals on desktop PC's, but often somethings less then, or as is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I was referring to bloatware present on newer machines.
If you remove anti virus 80% speedup can be achieved.
IMO you can do browsing on linux while rest of the things can be done on windows xp.Considering xp is more prone to viruses than linux, you could try Lubuntu.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Yes you can run a 1 gig with a 512, and it would indeed run at the slowest speed of the two. That being said, you answered some of your own thoughts above.
but with new browser functions, more demanding websites and programs, more RAM needed is obvious.

Not to mention that support fopr XP has ended, leaving it one of if not, the most vulnerable OS out there. If you have other systems or can afford another as hinted in your replies, i would not bother upgrading this system or messing with it. Instead, i would make backups for one of the other systems and make that your main one. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'm aware of the risk using unsupported Windows XP. So I took some new measures to increase security.

PC defense
-BitDefender Free
-Windows Firewall (On)Though it always is!
-Malwarebytes (Premium) thanks to Malware1 / Anti Exploit
-SpywareBlaster
-MCShield
-Advanced System Care 8 (Pro) thanks to Rus Anca

Browser defense
-WOT
-BluHell Firewall
-Disconnect (like Ghostery but lighter)
-Qualys Browser Check / FileHippo Update Checker (to keep my software updated)

and other goodies like, CCleaner / Wise Care 365 / System Ninja / SlimDrivers / Advanced Uninstaller Pro.

Is there anything I missed? :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0
I

illumination

I'm aware of the risk using unsupported Windows XP. So I took some new measures to increase security.

PC defense
-BitDefender Free
-Windows Firewall (On)Though it always is!
-Malwarebytes (Premium) thanks to Malware1 / Anti Exploit
-SpywareBlaster
-MCShield
-Advanced System Care 8 (Pro) thanks to Rus Anca

Browser defense
-WOT
-BluHell Firewall
-Disconnect (like Ghostery but lighter)
-Qualys Browser Check / FileHippo Update Checker (to keep my software updated)

and other goodies like, CCleaner / Wise Care 365 / System Ninja / SlimDrivers / Advanced Uninstaller Pro.

Yes, the Operating system :D No matter how much security you place in it, it will be vulnerable on the deepest level. The operating system itself is not receiving security patches any more, nor stability ones. and now is a nice big target for hackers/malware.

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I agree with @illumination XP is a target now that Microso$$t no longer sends definitions(Security patches)
You might think about sand boxing or installing a Linux OS on your old machine. My friend 4-cats is a expert on sand boxing @Cats-4_Owners-2 I hopefully got his attention with a tag! Hope I got the tag right. Still learning new things here!;)

Yes, my attention has been captured (thanks to donetao's friendly tag!:p)!!:)

illumination's words ring truthful while with this thought I realize (call it a gut feeling) you are not quite ready to let go of your faithful Windows XP system just yeto_O along with it's :eek:'..nice big target':oops: as well! I mention this because, like you, I also have an XP which luckily, for my security safety, now moves slower than molasses in January!:D I am typing from the same computer, although I'm using linux lubuntu dual booted with (installed beside) XP. As donetao mentioned, Sandboxie is one of the free programs available which can add another layer of online security when browsers are opened in a sandbox. Think of it as a radiation suit for your browsers. All changes to your browser including updates & adjustments to settings 'disappear' once the sandbox is deleted. This prevents unwanted and unnoticed changes being made that would effect your system. Setting changes and all additions you wish to keep (except SB's option to recover downloads while sandboxed) must be performed outside the sandbox.
You may prefer to try another virtualization program, Time Freeze, which I also use on XP. It can contain your entire system!:)
You do need a more effective Firewall to replace Windows Firewall which is insufficient in XP. I use Private Firewall. Read about it on the safe download site Softpedia.com.
Please, keep in mind that these are all band aids until you replace XP, or add a different more secure Desktop Environment to your existing hardware. I'd learned about linux lubuntu from one of the helpful staff here on MT (Thanks @BoraMurdar !:D) and wish I'd read the following arcticle sooner:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Well major concern is operating system of Windows XP since its no longer dealing with updates even though there's a trick around the corner, not recommended due to that process where tweaking on registry for receiving updates from XP Embedded version as considered not safe as didn't test by Microsoft.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Very nice Cats-4
Capture510.jpg
That's all that needs to be said!! Well done!!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks for all the information on Lubuntu, the sandboxie and other links and programs. :cool:
Another OS or PC might be an option in the Spring, if I have some funds to dip into. I checked eBay for Windows 7, but it's really expensive over $60+ dollars, lol... no thanks.
:p

I installed the 1 GB of memory (happends to be a samsung as well) and its working perfectly, even better speed and smoothness then I expected, it sure swaps easier on the HD without hardly having to use the Disk Space now. Don't have to wait for anti-virus to update either, I can multi-task a lot! :) I bought it from http://www.computermemoryoutlet.com/
their 1GB was the cheapest, only $10! ... whereas on eBay it was $17 and crucial $28.

Now I increased my Virtual Memory size from 768/768 to 2250/2250 same max as inital,
Now, ... is 2250 a bit BIG for a 1.5 GB RAM? seems like even during multi-task, it never reaches past 1000. o_O

Although my HD space only went down 2% from 43% to 41%, not a big deal. :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.