Troubleshoot MFPlat.dll is misssing

Macforth

Thread author
Nov 3, 2017
Hi to everyone!

When I try to start Windows Movie Maker from the main components of windows, I receive an error message:

“The program can't start because MFPlat.dll is missing from your computer”

The reinstallation did not help. I have checked it with a search. I have found many files with this name in my system. How to solve this problem?

Reactions: Rengar
D

Deleted member 65228

Are you running Windows KN or N? KN is for Korea and N is for Europe however these versions of Windows don't have additional things the usual installation will have, more of the base functionality. If so, install the Media Feature Pack to solve the problem: Download Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Other than that, I am not sure. I hope you are using Windows KN/N and this was the cause of the problem though, otherwise diagnostics can be tricky; no matter what, don't attempt to find the DLL online and place it any folders because you can run into malicious DLLs infringing on it, or the incorrect versions, etc.

Reactions: XhenEd and Rengar
Upvote 0

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
"System File Checker is a vital tool included with Windows. It allows you to scan for file corruption and restore Windows system files such as mfplat.dll. If System File Checker finds a problem with mfplat.dll or other critical system file, it will attempt to replace the problematic files from DLL Cache (%WinDir%\System32\Dllcache\). If the mfplat.dll file is not in the DLL Cache, or the DLL Cache is corrupted, you will be prompted to insert the Windows installation disc to recover the original files.

To run System File Checker (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
  3. While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
  4. You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
  5. Click Yes.
  6. A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
  7. Type "sfc /scannow" and hit ENTER.
  8. System File Checker will begin scanning for mfplat.dll and other system file problems (be patient - the system scan may take a while).
  9. Follow the on-screen commands."

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.