Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Automatic Spying Cannot Be Stopped

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
May 25, 2014
Last week changes to the Windows 10 upgrade path mean it is going to become increasingly difficult for any non-techy users to avoid being pushed to Microsoft MSFT +0.00%’s new operating system. But given Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 and Windows 8, why would that be a problem? Because of policies like this…

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsoft by default. More importantly he also confirmed that, despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply cannot be stopped.

Read the full article for details :)

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
May 25, 2014
Well, looks like Windows 10 is a riskware, adware do that too.
Thats why noone wants it. Now you get Junkware with the OS itself. Whats next? Windows sends your entire screen over all the time?

This is just getting annoying and keep pushing it to users will drive even more users away i guess.

Look at Apple, all PCs are in minus only Apple is in plus.

Maybe ill get a Mac next, im getting sick of this garbage.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Most companies I work with have Windows 7 or Windows XP. So, I asked them why they don't upgrade. Most of them say because it's to much work or they don't like Windows 10. I notice, if you have an older PC, Windows 7 is way better for you. From my tests Windows 8 and Windows 10 are fast but the overall performance is lower then Windows 7. Yes! in Windows 7 the boot time is way slower then Windows 8 or Windows 10 but, that is the only downside.

Privacy is very important for most people.

Now, I use Windows 7 64x and I love it.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
It's important that data collected is sent back to Microsoft else it wouldn't have been able to resolve bugs, issues, compatibility problems and so on. Windows as you know it today wouldn't have improved.

People flock to various forums to describe their problems in great length to solve them without posting any useful information, but it could have been much easier if required information is send back to Microsoft whenever you face any error messages.

Think of it this way. No software would have ever developed or improved if there was nil user feedback. As far as I know data collected by Microsoft isn't used for any malicious purposes.

Reactions: XhenEd

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
One very troubling aspect of this revelation is how long it took MS to make it. All the hype about the free OS, all the controversy about the built-in keylogger back in the beta (and reportedly still in the RTM, though supposedly disabled), and MS in all that time did not disclose that it would be spying on users' machines, until now. What further revelations might be in store for Win10 users once much of the business world is committed to Win10 and this settles down?

It is a good time to switch to Linux. I did so four months ago and it has been fine.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Wow. Coupled with the fact that Microsoft is forcing Windows 10 upon us by making it a recommended update (and not optional) means that I will be switching completely to my MacBook and be installing Linux soon on my PC Laptop soon too.

It's important that data collected is sent back to Microsoft else it wouldn't have been able to resolve bugs, issues, compatibility problems and so on. Windows as you know it today wouldn't have improved.

People flock to various forums to describe their problems in great length to solve them without posting any useful information, but it could have been much easier if required information is send back to Microsoft whenever you face any error messages.

Think of it this way. No software would have ever developed or improved if there was nil user feedback. As far as I know data collected by Microsoft isn't used for any malicious purposes.

I understand your side on the argument, however, I will counter by saying, how can you trust any company with your private info? For example, the Target breach. Target didn't disclose any infos, but people came in there and hacked the system, breaching the data. When the data is there on their servers, it's there forever. If I said I'll hold your gold for you, even if I'm trustworthy, there's still a risk factor involved because asking others to hold copies of your valuable data means depending on them to keep it safe from hackers.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If Microsoft wants to improve and encourage users to use Windows 10 then first revise all the privacy concerns.

I'm not sure if they are willingly to step up their latest OS or instead happy already on money income even some allegations were denied from privacy?

If simple things cannot be fix then how about the large cases.

Windows 10 is fine but more expectation should occur.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
They have no reason to change their privacy policy, people can go Linux or just wait for their machines to upgrade itself to win 10, there are two ways, pick one. As far as I know Win 10 is total success for Microsoft, personally I'm using it but I have to admit it is impressive the amount of outgoing request from system files compared to the old and good win 7, it is actually crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I frankly think MS is counting on the public having a short memory and just going with the flow. That's how it always works with these things, unless the outcry hits a critical mass, in which case the corporations do a quick turnaround for the cameras and explain how it was all an innocent mistake.

The root problem, as I see it, is that MS is extending its ownership of the desktop. They are taking away user choice left and right. Thus, you now can't disable or pick and choose updates. And even on Win7 - 8.1, Win10 is downloading itself without user knowledge or consent - all 2GB of it!

And when I say user, I mean the guy who actually owns the machine. (You remember "ownership", don't you? That quaint concept from yesteryear?) I don't think that's acceptable. And as time goes on and the subscription model deepens its roots, I can only see MS's control getting worse. I think the time for open software is here. Just think what could be done if enough people got on board and cut loose a donation now and then.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Wow. Coupled with the fact that Microsoft is forcing Windows 10 upon us by making it a recommended update (and not optional) means that I will be switching completely to my MacBook and be installing Linux soon on my PC Laptop soon too.

I understand your side on the argument, however, I will counter by saying, how can you trust any company with your private info? For example, the Target breach. Target didn't disclose any infos, but people came in there and hacked the system, breaching the data. When the data is there on their servers, it's there forever. If I said I'll hold your gold for you, even if I'm trustworthy, there's still a risk factor involved because asking others to hold copies of your valuable data means depending on them to keep it safe from hackers.

Every company states what type of data they store on their servers. The data they collect is specific to the software and the data collection definitely is stated in their privacy policies. *Valuable data* is never stored, and there have been no instance of any malpractices that's happened with regard to Microsoft to my knowledge.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.