LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Reminder: End of service for Windows 10 version 2004 – December 14, 2021
On December 14, 2021, all editions of Windows 10, version 2004 (20H1) will reach end of service. After that date, devices running these editions will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Didn't 20H1 only come out a few years ago? and correct me if I'm wrong (I most likely am) but doesnt Microsoft usually support OS's for years (5 or more) after the next OS is released? If i am wrong (I fully admit i probably am) then please correct me, but If I am right then I really don't like the direction Microsoft is heading.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Didn't 20H1 only come out a few years ago? and correct me if I'm wrong (I most likely am) but doesnt Microsoft usually support OS's for years (5 or more) after the next OS is released? If i am wrong (I fully admit i probably am) then please correct me, but If I am right then I really don't like the direction Microsoft is heading.
They migrated their Update channel for windows to SAaS "software as a service " see these links: "this applicable fo Windows10/11" through feature updates

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Thank you for that, It answered some questions as well as raised a few more.

I may have misunderstood, but I read that all editions (except enterprise and education editions) have 18 months of service through updates ect.

So does that mean since windows 11 is officially released, whenever the last update to windows 10 comes after that everyone (besides the specified editions) only have 18 months of security updates? pretty much forcing most users to upgrade (at their own expense if the machine in question is unable to run windows 11?) if my assumption is correct, that raises the question of when is the last update to windows 10?

I can understand windows as a service considering todays rapidly evolving landscape. But putting into consider everyone has different monetary needs and exppenses and considering the qualifications for machines to run current windows this is IMO a rip off. Of course I am currently exhausted and running on little sleep so I could have misunderstood the whole thing lol

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
So does that mean since windows 11 is officially released, whenever the last update to windows 10 comes after that everyone (besides the specified editions) only have 18 months of security updates? pretty much forcing most users to upgrade (at their own expense if the machine in question is unable to run windows 11?) if my assumption is correct, that raises the question of when is the last update to windows 10?
i think The last update for windows 10 will be at the last one before the end of life cycle . Estimated at may 2023 such that end with official retirement of windows 10 at 2025. after that you forced to upgrade to windows 11 or pay for extend support for security patches
I can understand windows as a service considering todays rapidly evolving landscape. But putting into consider everyone has different monetary needs and exppenses and considering the qualifications for machines to run current windows this is IMO a rip off. Of course I am currently exhausted and running on little sleep so I could have misunderstood the whole thing lol
Until now no new about new subscription model beside the on time purchase plus Extend support for OS with expired life cycle tat is the info i have

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.