Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Windows Defender not being free anymore considering I payed for the OS?

If I may be so bold....that's a mistake, 100%

If that is true, I will be switching AV again promptly.
I would say WD/MD been never really free, now still same story for reason you mentioned: users have to purchase OS included in device...

But I see no valid reason why switching to other AV as long as the purpose still well-done by your AV, doesn't matter free or paid ;)

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I wanted to try it, it tells me that it is not available in my area.

I also hope this system will be free (theoretically yes), because if it's paid, I'm also opting out of Microsoft Defender.

Of course Microsoft is a cash pump, but you can't push it too far!

Yes, IMO that's a much to egregious approach to it.

If they want to charge for consider it is built into the OS itself. they should consider a "opt-in" approach.

Say when your installing windows or setting up windows fom purchasing the computer it gives you the option to add WD to the machine at a one time cost (instead of billing cycle) and if you decide you don't want to opt-in WD is not installed.

I think that would be the best of both worlds honestly, there is the potential to make $$ there but it doesn't....betray your user base.

now, I understand Microsoft is a business and as a business your in it to make money. But coming from the culinary world I see things a bit differently. you have to give something away for free to reap even better rewards in the end. And this honestly just feels like a executive standing in front of me with their hand out.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I would say WD/MD been never really free, now still same story for reason you mentioned: users have to purchase OS included in device...

But I see no valid reason why switching to other AV as long as the purpose still well-done by your AV, doesn't matter free or paid ;)

I see your point of view, which I shared mine in my post above, its more the ethics (might be the wrong wording) behind it than anything.

Why pay for something thats built into the OS, when i can get something thats almost just as good for free?

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi Is it normal to see 2 entries of windows defender ,one is windows defender antimalware service and the other is same thing but with content process both consume 100 mb each ,a hogger. Never seen that second content process one must be new to windows 11?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hi Is it normal to see 2 entries of windows defender ,one is windows defender antimalware service and the other is same thing but with content process both consume 100 mb each ,a hogger. Never seen that second content process one must be new to windows 11?
My guess, it's may related to this article from Microsoft, NOTE: I've been enabled manually (WD/MD in a Sandbox) since longer time, so can't say it's default now ;)

windows-defender-av-sandbox.png

Source: Microsoft​

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My guess, it's may related to this article from Microsoft, NOTE: I've been enabled manually (WD/MD in a Sandbox) since longer time, so can't say it's default now ;)

Indeed, I now see MsMpEngCP in addition to Antimalware Service Exe in task manager so I guess Defender Sandbox is enabled by default in W11. I did not set it manually.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Indeed, I now see MsMpEngCP in addition to Antimalware Service Exe in task manager so I guess Defender Sandbox is enabled by default in W11. I did not set it manually.
Yeah, it's enabled by default in Windows 11. But as we have discussed in another thread, it's a bit buggy, which results in Defender not being able to remove malware in some occasion.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Ok so how do we disable sandbox so we can try WD normally and see how it is in memory and cpu without the other stuff? thanks

Found it it is disabled ,so that other entry of WD is ?

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Today, BleepingComputer tested the Microsoft Defender preview, and the application is more of a front end to the underlying Windows Security infrastructure.

When using the app, we could add devices to our cloud dashboard and monitor their protection status. However, it is not possible to control any security feature on the main device or connected devices.

The new Microsoft Defender works as a front-end for Windows Security and a dashboard to see alerts and security recommendations for enrolled devices.

"In some situations, you'll be required to use the Windows Security app, but Microsoft Defender will connect you to that app," as Microsoft explains.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.