Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft appears to be readying a new Windows Defender Preview app for Windows 11, according to a tweet by Alumia.

? pic.twitter.com/ms0QrHDiaV
— Aggiornamenti Lumia (@ALumia_Italia) October 25, 2021

The app has the code-name GibraltarApp and appears to be rebuilt using WPF and XAML. It will replace the current inbox app in Windows 11.

It is claimed to offer “simple, seamless and personalized protection” to users and is expected to roll out to Windows Insiders in the near future.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I just saw DefenderUI and it looks simple and easy to setup.
There is a whole dedicated thread on MT:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
It will be really interesting to see what they come up with. I think all the clues are in the "Simple, seamless, and personalized".

This is just a guess...

Personalized: Maybe each user will have their own security profile

Simple: Maybe they will limit the options and settings, and automatically change the settings "in the background" for each security profile?

Seamless: Maybe it will be a lot better organized, and users will not have to spend hours looking for a specific settings

If someone wants to contact MS, maybe I will trade the DefenderUI source code for my favorite 12 pack ;). It looks like they are both written in C# after all ;).

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
More images of the new Microsoft Defender Preview app leak out
A few days ago, we came to learn about a new Windows Defender Preview app that Microsoft has been working on. It was speculated that the new application might be new a new Defender version built specifically for Windows 11. However, that appears not to be the case.

Twitter leakster WalkingCat shared the Microsoft Store link for Windows Defender Preview two days ago on his handle. From the store, we come to know that the new app will run on Windows 10 too, as long as the build is 19410.0 or newer.

As such, I fired it up on my Windows 10 PC but when trying to proceed from the initial Get Started screen (image at top), we are greeted with a message that reads "Your account isn't authorized to use Microsoft Defender yet". This blocks us from proceeding further.

A Twitter user Ahmed Walid however was able to use a hack to bypass this block and has posted some screenshots of the user interface of the new Microsoft Defender Preview.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It looks like only an additional window to click through to get to Security Center. What's the point?
Yeah, exactly. I got excited initially, but after seeing the latest images, I'm highly disappointed. If it's just a launcher to launch Windows Security, then that's very dumb. The whole Windows Security design has to change with better management, more options in the UI.
It's still in development, so we'll see.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft Defender for Windows is getting a massive overhaul
Microsoft Defender for Windows is getting a massive overhaul allowing home network admins to deploy Android, iOS, and Mac clients to monitor antivirus, phishing, compromised passwords, and identity theft alerts from a single security dashboard.

In the past, antivirus solutions were very much a single PC application, where each device got its own protection, but none of the devices spoke to each other.

With this setup, if one device detected malware, only the person using the device would know about it, rather than providing a centralized reporting dashboard.

As home networks became increasingly more complicated, connected, and diverse, antivirus vendors started to offer stripped-down versions of their enterprise products that allowed a home admin to manage all of their devices from a single dashboard.
It is unclear when the Microsoft Defender Preview will be available to test, but it will likely come to Windows 10 and Windows 11 Insiders first in the coming months.

BleepingComputer has contacted Microsoft with further questions about this new feature and will update the article if we receive a response.

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
My SEP detects changes in apps before anything else kicks in and asks me if I want to allow them through the firewall.

Strangely enough my AV, behavior blocker, anti exe and HIPS don't care about them because they're routine and expected.

They're called updates.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think the trend is toward expanding the scope of protection rather than enhancing the functionality. pc-only security is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate, with well-known vendors maintaining a certain level of detection and other capabilities.
If the companies involved in this field want to grow in the future, the IoT will be a promising frontier.
I am guessing it will be something like emisi's cloud management console.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Here is another look at the new Microsoft Defender Preview app
Microsoft is working on a revamped version of their Microsoft Defender app.

Microsoft Defender Preview featured new styling and a simplified design, and appears to be designed to protect all your devices. The minimum requirements note support for both Windows 10 and Windows 11.

The app is available to download in the Store, but it appears the installation is restricted to only some users, likely internal Microsoft staff.

Today ALumia uploaded new marketing shots of the app.

The screenshots make it clear that the solution is focused on protecting all your devices, including your smartphones and even MacBooks.

Checking it out in the Store here.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 11’s redesigned web-based Windows Defender is set to go live soon
Microsoft has been working on a cross-platform Microsoft Defender client for Windows 11, Windows 10, macOS, Android, and iOS. The remodelled app which is based on web components (WebView) will help consumers keep tabs on antivirus, malware scan, phishing, compromised passwords, and more.

The official store description of the app claims that Microsoft Defender or Windows Defender is a security app that gives you peace of mind. Microsoft says the new app comes with a personalized dashboard where you can view the security status of your Windows device and other connected devices in one place.

Microsoft appears to have jumped the gun and released Windows Defender’s early preview ahead of schedule and effectively confirmed just what we can expect once the security app arrives in the Windows Insider program — likely in the coming weeks.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
According to its Store description, Microsoft Defender Preview will display real-time notifications for alerts. The fine print in the Store listing is where things get interesting. Allow me to quote it for you,
"No subscription is required for Microsoft Defender Preview. In the future, Microsoft Defender will require a Microsoft 365 Family or Personal subscription."
This clearly suggests that the app will not be free for users, though I wonder if there will be other limitations in place.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I wanted to try it, it tells me that it is not available in my area.

I also hope this system will be free (theoretically yes), because if it's paid, I'm also opting out of Microsoft Defender.

Of course Microsoft is a cash pump, but you can't push it too far!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.