Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft has launched another salvo in its campaign to hammer the final nail into the coffin of an outdated, insecure product: Internet Explorer 6.

The problem with Internet Explorer 6 is that Microsoft no longer supports it, and the creaky old web browser simply doesn't provide anything approaching a sufficient level of defence as severely critical vulnerabilities have been left unpatched.

A new website, www.ie6countdown.com, attempts to convince users of the reasons why they should upgrade to a more secure version of the web-browsing software, and provides information for organisations on how they can best migrate.

What I found particularly interesting, however, was a graphic of the world showing the percentage of browser marketshare Internet Explorer 6 has in each country

ie6-countdown-500.jpg

More details - link

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The companys are keeping IE6 alive just to save some money...this is getting ridiculous :tussor:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
As far as I know the UK government refused to upgrade to IE8 (a few months ago) ,just to save some money ...

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
We have you on your knees Bill Gates! :whip:
Jack said:
As far as I know the UK government refused to upgrade to IE8 (a few months ago) ,just to save some money ...
What money? IE 8 is a free upgrade.
I think that they should all move to Opera.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
What money? IE 8 is a free upgrade.

:lolz: There is more to it than just buying software. All the IT guys have to work to upgrade everything, and maybe change some infrastructure. I'm not sure of details, since I've never been an IT guy, but I'm positive they don't just say, "Ok everyone with a company computer, go install IE8 for yourself!"

And Opera isn't always that stable. :p

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Yes upgrading is free(as we home users understand it)...but : A large-scale browser update would cost millions in labour fees, training, and systems administration, not to mention the substantial amount of time that such an upgrade would eat up.

Read more

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Watasha said:
:lolz: Am I the only one who finds this funny?

Well, I do think companies' refusals to upgrade and the all the news about sites being hacked is kind of funny. :p

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
China seems to be in "front" of everyone .... 34,5% :lol:
I think this table is showing the usage among "home users"(right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.