Technology Microsoft Build 2024: news and announcements from the developer conference

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Build is Microsoft’s developer conference where the company provides in-depth sessions for developers and professionals alike to get familiar with tools supporting new Windows 11 and Microsoft 365 features. This time, we’re expecting plenty of new AI announcements and sessions related to just-announced AI features like Recall.

Microsoft made a huge splash in the PC world on Monday announcing new Arm-powered “Copilot Plus PCs,” including a brand-new Surface Laptop and tablet. The new devices come with an emulation layer called Prism that promises seamless compatibility with x86 apps on Windows — taking a page out of Apple’s successful transition to its own M-series chips.

Reactions: Andy Ful and Morro

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
  • Recall is local-only and encrypted on supported hardware.
  • Not compatible with current Intel or AMD.
  • Can be disabled by IT Admin.

Recall not only records but also understands your screen.​

Windows 11’s flagship new feature is “Recall,” which uses local AI models to record everything you do and see on your screen. Microsoft announced the Recall feature at a Windows event on May 20, and it will begin shipping with the new Qualcomm Snapdragon X (Elite and Plus) on June 18. But how does the feature work, and is it secure?

According to official hardware requirements, Windows 11’s Recall AI isn’t available on existing hardware. You’ll need Snapdragon X PCs, as Intel and AMD PCs do not meet the minimum requirement of 40 TOPs (trillion operations per second) NPU (a chip dedicated to handling AI processing on-device).

NPU is a requirement because Recall records everything you do and stores the “snapshots” locally.

Does Windows 11’s Recall respect your privacy?​

Is it privacy-friendly? The short answer is yes, but it depends on how you look at things. Recall will record everything on your screen, compress it, store it in your local storage, and encrypt it using BitLocker.

As first spotted by Windows Latest, Windows 11 24H2 turns on Device Encryption on new installations or devices by default. This feature is also used to encrypt AI snapshots.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Morro

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well, I was worried about Recall coming sooner or later, but now that I know you need a Snapdragon X PC for it to work, I am no longer worried. Never thought I would mention this with a smile on my face, but for once “Long live Intel. :)

• Love
  • Hundred Points
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Nevi

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Recall seems kind of needless honestly, why would anyone sacrifice their privacy just to find some content they consumed some days ago?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.