Microsoft considering adding ChatGPT to Bing

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft is considering integrating ChatGPT into its Microsoft Bing search engine in an effort to boost its attractiveness. The plan, first revealed by The Informer, appears to be in early stages at the moment.

The news article, which is unfortunately behind a paywall, cites a person familiar with the plan as its source.

ChatGPT is a language model developed by OpenAI that is created specifically for dialogs. Patrick explained how ChatGPT works here on this site, and you may want to check out the informational article to better understand what it does and does not do.

It is also of interest that extensions are already available that add ChatGPT to search engines. These display content produced by ChatGPT in the search results, but do not alter the classic results returned by the search engine.

Microsoft seems to consider integrating ChatGPT more deeply into Bing. The conversational nature of ChatGPT could help the company better understand user requests, and users of Bing might favor conversational answers over traditional search results.

The report suggests that Microsoft is still evaluating the possibility, as it is considering factors such as the accuracy of results and technical factors. Microsoft could release an initial test version to a small group of Bing users later this year.

The rest

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
The rest
Bing does need all the help that it can get, it is surprisingly disappointing from my experiences, even when I have reported issues, like incorrect hours for businesses, months later they are still not fixed; even smaller & newer search engines like Brave Search are better.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Not their responsibility.

Business owners must use Bing Places to keep their opening hours and information accurate. Bing Places sends regular emails for this.

Interesting, thank you for sharing that, I disagree, I report issues like this to other search engines like Google Search & they fix this. Besides, in my case, it was for a public library, every organization / business / library should not have to sign up for a separate account for that when they have a report feature already to report search issues, and there is no reason you should not be able to use a normal Microsoft account to report issues.

It is their search engine, so they can do what they want, I just disagree, and I think that it is not a good search engine; especially for a big company like Microsoft, so I do not use it, fortunately most people I know do not willingly use it.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
AI search engines can become conversation partners in their spare time. I'm really looking forward to it.
キャプチャ.PNG

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
To be honest it will probably cost much less be more ethical than a typical lawyer. So why not?

It looks like AI will soon replace most workers from different fields.

Eventually it will, no doubt about it. I think you see the writing on the wall in customer service roles, and data entry/various I.T roles in finance. In fact, finance is already making/made the transition to A.I./ML. Most will follow shortly or in the process to do so, usually it's the money industries that move first to protect their position and increase efficiency.

You also see it in the type of jobs people are doing or professing to do. Lots of new people claiming they're professional 'advocates' or 'consultants', so basically just talking is your job? Jobs for politicians who can't get elected basically.

AI search engines can become conversation partners in their spare time. I'm really looking forward to it.
I think the technology can be used for good. A.I. chat bots that can deal with people who are suicidal or who are going to self-harm could be very useful.

Sure, it's not where the money is in A.I. but it has the chance to do some good with supporting medical services and mental health services.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I hope they wait until GPT-4 is released to integrate it. GPT-3's neat but its utility is severely limited by its inability to learn.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The use of large language models (LLMs) is skyrocketing, and with good reason; it's really good. Over the last two weeks, ChatGPT has become my favorite tool. At work, I asked it how to build an obscure piece of Linux software against a modern kernel, and it told me how. It even generated code blocks with the bash commands needed to complete the task. I also asked it to do all sorts of silly things. For instance, it generated a fictional resume for Hulk Hogan where he has no previous IT experience but wants to transition into a role as an Azure Cloud Engineer. It did that, too, and it was hilarious. In fact, it's so good that it can generate articulate and convincing papers for your college coursework. Because of this, there is now a need for systems that detect machine-generated text.

Recently, a team of researchers at Stanford proposed a new method called DetectGPT, which aims to be among the first tools to combat generated text in higher education. The method is based around the idea that text generated by LLMs typically hover around specific regions of the negative curvature regions of the model's log probability function. Through this insight, the team developed a new barometer for judging if text is machine-generated which doesn't rely on training an AI or collecting large datasets to compare the text against. We can only guess this means human written text occupies positive curvature regions, but the source is not clear on this.

This method, called "zero-shot", allows DetectGPT to detect machine written text without any knowledge of the AI that was used to generate it. It operates in stark contrast to other methods which require training 'classifiers' and datasets of real and generated passages.

The team tested DetectGPT on a dataset of fake news articles (presumably anything that came out of CNET over the last year) and it outperformed other zero-shot methods for detecting machine-generated text. Specifically, they found that DetectGPT improved the detection of fake news articles generated by 20B parameter GPT-NeoX from 0.81 AUROC for the strongest zero-shot baseline to 0.95 AUROC for DetectGPT. Honestly, this is all French to me, but it purports a substantial improvement in detection performance and suggests that DetectGPT may be a promising way to scrutinize machine-generated text moving forward.

In summary, DetectGPT is a new method for detecting machine-generated text that leverages the unique characteristics of text generated by LLMs. It is a zero-shot method that does not require any additional data or training, making it an efficient and effective tool for identifying machine-generated text. As the use of LLMs continues to grow, the importance of corresponding systems for detecting machine-generated text will become increasingly critical. DetectGPT is a promising approach that could have a significant impact in many areas, and its further development could be beneficial for many fields.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
The only downside is whether the company would allow the API to be given to educational bodies is the next question. The idea is great in hindsight.

~LDogg

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Last week Microsoft announced 10,000 layoffs — and a multibillion-dollar investment in OpenAI, the company that created ChatGPT. But OpenAI also released a tool called Codex in August of 2021 "designed to translate natural language into code," reports Semafor. And now OpenAI "has ramped up its hiring around the world, bringing on roughly 1,000 remote contractors over the past six months in regions like Latin America and Eastern Europe, according to people familiar with the matter." The article points out that roughly 40% of those contractors "are computer programmers who are creating data for OpenAI's models to learn software engineering tasks." "A well-established company, which is determined to provide world-class AI technology to make the world a better and more efficient place, is looking for a Python Developer," reads one OpenAI job listing in Spanish, which was posted by an outsourcing agency.... OpenAI appears to be building a dataset that includes not just lines of code, but also the human explanations behind them written in natural language.
A software developer in South America who completed a five-hour unpaid coding test for OpenAI told Semafor he was asked to tackle a series of two-part assignments. First, he was given a coding problem and asked to explain in written English how he would approach it. Then, the developer was asked to provide a solution. If he found a bug, OpenAI told him to detail what the problem was and how it should be corrected, instead of simply fixing it. "They most likely want to feed this model with a very specific kind of training data, where the human provides a step-by-step layout of their thought-process," said the developer, who asked to remain anonymous to avoid jeopardizing future work opportunities.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Major leak reveals revolutionary new version of Microsoft Bing powered by ChatGPT-4 AI​

It looks like Microsoft is gearing up to launch a major new version of Bing that integrates OpenAI’s ChatGPT-4 technology in a way that will revolutionize searching the web. Multiple users have reported seemingly stumbling across a preview version of the new Bing earlier today before Microsoft quickly shut it down.

Luckily, a user by the name of Owen Yin was able to grab a few screenshots and try out a handful of features before his access was revoked, giving us a good look at how the future of Bing and searching the web will function with AI woven throughout. To begin, the new Bing advertises itself as more than just a search box. It describes itself as a “research assistant, personal planner, and creative partner at your side.”

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
People, who lost their hope in other people, put their faith into the AI, I am speechless. It has begun.

• +Reputation
Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Microsoft's oft-forgotten search engine is about to get a new lease on life. As expected, the tech giant announced on Tuesday that it is partnering with OpenAI to enhance Bing with the company's AI technology. However, Microsoft also had a surprise up its sleeve: the next release of Bing will feature a new next-generation large language model the company claims is "much more powerful" than ChatGPT and designed specifically to excel at search. The new Bing offers a chat function and an expanded search bar that allows you to input up to a thousand characters. Underpinning the search engine is a new proprietary technology Microsoft is calling the Prometheus Model. Among the benefits of Prometheus are more relevant search results, according to the company. Microsoft claims the model will also make using Bing safer and allow the company to update search results more quickly.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft is getting ready to demonstrate how its new ChatGPT-like AI will transform its Office productivity apps. After announcing and demonstrating its Prometheus Model in its new Bing search engine earlier this week, Microsoft is gearing up to show how it will expand to its core productivity apps like Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.

Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company is preparing to detail its productivity plans for integrating OpenAI’s language AI technology and its Prometheus Model in the coming weeks. The software giant is tentatively planning an announcement in March, highlighting how quickly Microsoft wants to reinvent search and its productivity apps through its OpenAI investments.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
A unique Lockheed Martin fighter jet trainer called the VISTA X-62A has become the first tactical aircraft to be controlled by artificial intelligence, taking to the air for over 17 hours during a test flight from Edwards Air Force Base in California in December 2021. One of the frustrating problems with modern combat aircraft is how long it takes to develop them. Where the Supermarine Spitfire of WWII legend took only three years to go into service, the F-35 Lightning II took 20 years and the first ones to be delivered are already obsolete despite the order backlogs.There's also the problem of training pilots to fly high-performance aircraft in different variations. Today's air forces are much smaller than they were in the past due to the astronomical costs of building and maintaining fighters, so it's hard to free up enough of these flying thoroughbreds for training purposes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.