danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hehehe, how funny, I have the same reaction ;). Every. Single. Time. ;)

BTW, I am not dissing on WD, it is amazing. But it is a filter and your computer should be locked when you are at risk.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It is a fairly logical move. Microsoft introduced so many LOLBins in the past, why it should stop. But truly, this is the most stupid one. 🙃
Of course, this LOLBin is equally dangerous for any AV (for now).

Edit.
No problem for H_C, VS, and SWH due to anti-script (command-line) protection.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Like any other LOLBin which tries to download something, this one can be mitigated in WD by activating WD Network Protection. This will activate SmartScreen URL check.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
this one can be mitigated in WD by activating WD Network Protection

Probably speculation: Is this why there were these multiple updates to the Antimalware Platform recently? I'm flashing on the recent conflict between Network Inspection Service and Memory Integrity. There had to have been some exceedingly good reasons.

Even though the update to version 4.18.4008.4 "fixed" this, maybe in light of this information, it's better to continue on to update to the very latest Client version: 4.18.2008.9.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Even though the update to version 4.18.4008.4 "fixed" this, maybe in light of this information, it's better to continue on to update to the very latest Client version: 4.18.2008.9.
" In tests conducted by BleepingComputer.com, this feature was added to Microsoft Defender in version 4.18.2007.9 or 4.18.2009.9. "

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Probably speculation: Is this why there were these multiple updates to the Antimalware Platform recently? I'm flashing on the recent conflict between Network Inspection Service and Memory Integrity. There had to have been some exceedingly good reasons.

Hmmmm... interesting observation, I think you are on to something ;).

I will say, MS has come a VERY long way with WD and it truly is amazing now. It does need A LOT of work on usability. I mean, just to create an exception for one folder or to restore files from quarantine takes like 50 clicks and 20 minutes ;).

I can FINALLY say this... really all you need is WD and VS and you are good to go. I kinda saw this coming a couple of years ago... I just had no idea that they would work together THIS well. In all fairness, I should not be surprised... it was all by design ;).

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
It is a fairly logical move. Microsoft introduced so many LOLBins in the past, why it should stop. But truly, this is the most stupid one. 🙃
Of course, this LOLBin is equally dangerous for any AV (for now).

Edit.
No problem for H_C, VS, and SWH due to anti-script (command-line) protection.
And your new creation will block system calls as well, right? ;).

Reactions: Cortex

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
I just blocked MpCmdRun.exe, thanks Dan. /s

I believe this could happen to any antivirus vendors if they had more marketshare.
Sure, thank you as well! Yeah, I believe this too... it is all about marketshare.

That is why having another layer of unknown protection (to the attacker) makes a lot of sense.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Thank you for this post i will be visiting family members homes to install another solution till this is fixed.

Reactions: Cortex

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
The good news is that Microsoft Defender will detect malicious files downloaded with MpCmdRun.exe, but it is unknown if other AV software will allow this program to bypass their detections.

Sure so in other words let spread the information to cyber criminals so they can exploit other software L0L. they dont call it "bleeping computer" for nothing.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
And your new creation will block system calls as well, right? ;).
Heaven forbid!
I do not create software to kill the system.

Edit.
In fact, thanks to SRP the MpCmdRun.exe can be blocked for malware (in the home environment) and still allowed for a few WD scheduled system tasks.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thank you for this post i will be visiting family members homes to install another solution till this is fixed.
You will waste your time and bloat the system by installing & reinstalling security solutions.
  1. There are already several LOLBins in the system that can do the same and are used by malc0ders for a long time. So this new one does not increase the danger for the home users. It can be less visible in incidents available in enterprise solutions.
  2. This LOLBin will work with any AV as well (similarly to most LOLBins) - it does not require WD enabled.
  3. WD will be probably the first to secure this by Machine Learning (locally or in the cloud). It is easy because it is known what kind of file should be downloaded (WD update).
You should rather think about how to prevent/mitigate other popular LOLBins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.