Battle Microsoft Defender(DefenderUI) better than Bitdefender Free?

Compare list
Microsoft Defender with DefenderUI
Bitdefender Free

markstitovits

Level 2
Thread author
Sep 13, 2022
I am currently using Bitdefender free and it is somewhat limited. Bitdefender free also doesn't appear on av-test or av-comparatives, only the internet security version. Is it possible that Microsoft defender would be better for me? it has some features that Bitdefender free does not. Of course I would still use periodic scanning tools.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I am currently using Bitdefender free and it is somewhat limited. Bitdefender free also doesn't appear on av-test or av-comparatives, only the internet security version. Is it possible that Microsoft defender would be better for me? it has some features that Bitdefender free does not. Of course I would still use periodic scanning tools.
I think you can't go wrong with either one of them. But what's for sure is that I personally had way more problems using Bitdefender.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
You can check this review on PCMag:
Rubenking is not very fond of Microsoft Defender…you cannot sell it!

I would say that a hardened MD is excellent, and there are good threads about that in this forum. Check this thread about Configure Defender...

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
In terms of protection, Bitdefender and Microsoft Defender are very similar. I have a preference for Microsoft Defender because their Machine Learning AI is very powerful.

I think that it will be based on the features. Microsoft Defender has a lot more features than Bitdefender.
Bitdefender has already caused several slowdowns and other problems for several members including me....

G

Guilhermesene

In terms of protection, Bitdefender and Microsoft Defender are very similar.
@Shadowra Is this serious? 😮

I am not asking ironically. It's just that I have ALWAYS used 3rd party AV's, so I have no experience with Microsoft Defender.

I am even in doubt between Kaspersky in default deny mode or SysHardener+OSarmor. Which is better? Can you give me an opinion? Thanks my friend 😉🙂

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra Is this serious? 😮

I am not asking ironically. It's just that I have ALWAYS used 3rd party AV's, so I have no experience with Microsoft Defender.

I am even in doubt between Kaspersky in default deny mode or SysHardener+OSarmor. Which is better? Can you give me an opinion? Thanks my friend 😉🙂

Hi 😉

I had done a personal test some time ago, and indeed MD and Bitdefender are very similar 😉
Bitdefender is going to be more into behavioral blocking while MD will be its database.
I also tried to trick MD by modifying some data from a malware (which is the Pandora Ransomware, I got a Behavior:Win32/Ransomware detection!).

For Kaspersky's Deny mode, it's like Avast's Hardened mode everything that is not signed will be blocked.
A Microsoft Defender configured with DefenderUI or the tool of @Andy Ful , with SysHardener or NVT will be enough :) (or Voodooshield)

markstitovits

Level 2
Thread author
Sep 13, 2022
Use benchmarks like Novabench to see which one is lighter. In my case, it's Bitdefender, but Avast free is even lighter.
I had some problems with Avast. I had the premium version, and every time steam started updating a game, the CPU usage went nuts on Avast. I added steam to the exclusions, the download location, steam servers and everything. Even support connected to my PC and they could do anything about it. It was checking downloaded files by steam even with an exclusion added to the software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.