Advice Request Microsoft Edge Enterprise

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
Does anyone have experience using Microsoft Edge Enterprise in a home environment?
Is it possible to use it as Firefox LTS ? :unsure:
Anything special about it?

I'm using Firefox ESR and I'm happy with it. It is not bloated and very lightweight. I find Chromium-based browsers to be bloated and settings are confusing.

Reactions: Sorrento

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
The reason I am using ESR version of Firefox is that I don't want to received updates very often.
Exactly the same reason. MEE has less frequent updates, version increases.
The question is how it works for the home user. I worry about having to use corporate methods of setup and administration.

• Wow
Reactions: Mystic and Sorrento

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
Exactly the same reason. MEE has less frequent updates, version increases.
The question is how it works for the home user. I worry about having to use corporate methods of setup and administration.
If you're talking about FF ESR, no the installation is just the same. The experience is also the same. I know there are other methods of installation that help admin deploy FF on many devices, but I installed it the way we always did install FF.

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
I'm talking about Microsoft Edge Enterprise. I mentioned Firefox ESR only as an example of a version with long support and fewer updates. That's exactly what I'm talking about with Edge Enterprise. Less frequent updates. I'm looking for information from someone who has experience with Edge Enterprise. Whether it behaves and can be set up like regular "home" Edge, or whether I need to use corporate management methods.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
I'm talking about Microsoft Edge Enterprise. I mentioned Firefox ESR only as an example of a version with long support and fewer updates. That's exactly what I'm talking about with Edge Enterprise. Less frequent updates. I'm looking for information from someone who has experience with Edge Enterprise. Whether it behaves and can be set up like regular "home" Edge, or whether I need to use corporate management methods.
Unfortunately, I don't have experience with Edge Enterprise. That is why I asked you if you're looking for a specific feature that is present in Edge and lacking in Firefox ESR.

I hope someone else can help you and answer your question.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It is possible in a home environment, but I haven't used it

If you are using the pro version of Windows you can install the latest Microsoft Edge Group Policy administrative templates from here:
Then use this:

Opting in to Extended Stable on Windows with Automatic Updates (recommended)​

If you automatically update Microsoft Edge, you can use group policy objects to opt in to the Extended Stable Release Cadence. Follow this guide for more information on downloading and installing the latest Microsoft Edge Group Policy administrative templates.
  1. Open the local Group Policy Editor and go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Microsoft Edge Update>Applications>Microsoft Edge>.
  2. Select Target Channel override and then select Enabled.
  3. Under Options, pick “Extended Stable” from the Policy dropdown list.
When the next update to the Extended Stable channel is released that has a version number higher than what your device currently has installed, Microsoft Edge will automatically update onto the Extended Stable channel. The version string on edge://settings/help will indicate that you are running a different channel.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It didn't. The "classic" Edge still remains in the system. :(
That is to be expected:
When the next update to the Extended Stable channel is released that has a version number higher than what your device currently has installed, Microsoft Edge will automatically update onto the Extended Stable channel. The version string on edge://settings/help will indicate that you are running a different channel.
Microsoft Edge releases :
VersionRelease statusBeta Channel
Release week
Stable Channel
Release week
Extended Stable Channel
Release week
104Released
Version
07-Jul-2022
05-Aug-2022
05-Aug-2022
105Released
Version
16-Aug-2022
01-Sep-2022
Not applicable
106Target releaseWeek of 06-Sep-2022Week of 29-Sep-2022Week of 29-Sep-2022

Last edited:

czesetfan

Level 4
Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
Despite installing "Enterprise", the "extended release" setting, Edge updates to 105.0. At the same time, I don't see confirmation anywhere that it is "Enterprise", it is identified everywhere as "Edge". edge://policy - shows no rules are applied.
There must be a bug somewhere. Is it really enough to install "Enterprise" via classic Edge? Or where could the error be?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Despite installing "Enterprise", the "extended release" setting, Edge updates to 105.0. At the same time, I don't see confirmation anywhere that it is "Enterprise", it is identified everywhere as "Edge". edge://policy - shows no rules are applied.
There must be a bug somewhere. Is it really enough to install "Enterprise" via classic Edge? Or where could the error be?
I don't know, only posted the info I could find about Edge enterprise.
I'm on the normal stable release at home and at work.

Reactions: czesetfan
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Why not just make an image of your current system, download the Enterprise version of Windows 11 and check it out. It doesn't need to be activated. I use it but installed Chromium Edge and don't mind the updates.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.