Microsoft Edge infected w/"yahoo search redirect virus"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIAABRO210

Thread author
Jan 2, 2024
Hi, I have ran through the step by step process outlined in the "Yahoo Search Redirect Virus" article on how to remove it from my Windows PC.

The issue seems to solve itself for a few minutes as Bing & Goolge seem to act normally but say like 5min or so the issue reverts itself back and continues to be present. The issue is when I try to use either a Bing or Google search the screen flashes a few times and lands over on a Yahoo search. Yahoo is NOT my preferred search engine and I try to either use Google 90% of the time and even use Bing the other 10%.

I noticed this Redirect occurring a few weeks ago and thought it was odd and thinking I accidently changed a setting. Well of course after a bit of research come to find out I've been infected by some type of malware. Any ways, attached are the two files that were requested to be uploaded to this post. I greatly appreciate any help you can provide!

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    26 KB · Views: 3

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

I need to see the FRST.TXT log that was created by the Farbar program.

Please post it or attach it to your next reply.

I will review your logs and advise.

PIAABRO210

Thread author
Jan 2, 2024
Oops looks the second fie did attached....here go:
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

I need to see the FRST.TXT log that was created by the Farbar program.

Please post it or attach it to your next reply.

I will review your logs and advise.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Addition.txt
    26 KB · Views: 2
  • FRST.txt
    42.6 KB · Views: 2

PIAABRO210

Thread author
Jan 2, 2024
I've attached both files as requested. Please let me know if you don't see them posted, thank you!

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

You have not protection pplease enable these services.
AV: McAfee VirusScan (Disabled - Up to date) {FE987762-0FB6-6BB6-1BF1-73F8ED8566FA}
FW: McAfee Firewall (Disabled) {C6A3F647-45D9-6AEE-30AE-DACD13562181}

Restar the computer normally.

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Attachments

• Fixlist.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 4

PIAABRO210

Thread author
Jan 2, 2024
Hi nasdaq, I went ahead and ran the fix and attached the .txt log it generated.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    16.1 KB · Views: 4

PIAABRO210

Thread author
Jan 2, 2024
Hi nasdaq,
I've also enable both the AV and FW as you suggested.

So far so good both my Google and Bing search engines have been running as expected with no more redirected over to yahoo! I appreciate your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.