Advice Request Microsoft Edge is managed by your organization

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Yesterday I discovered this on my Edge settings : "Microsoft Edge is managed by your organization".
I don't know what that means because I don't work for an organization?
How to change this setting?

Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 140448.pngCapture d’écran 2022-09-21 140631.png

In English:
"Microsoft Edge is managed by your organization
If you use Microsoft Edge at school or work, this may be managed, configured, or maintained by your organization.
Your organization can configure or restrict certain features, install and block extensions, monitor activity, and control how you use it.
If Microsoft Edge is managed, you can view policies defined by your organization on the edge://policy page."

Reactions: plat and show-Zi

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Tools like O&O ShutUp10 probably causing this "issue" as well, beside tweaks via group policy as said by @show-Zi

@JB007 You can searching Google and find known solutions... A few months ago, for me did the trick to check for related entries in Windows Registry:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
O&O ShutUp10++ , DefenderUI and VoodooShield can cause this and probably other privacy and security tools.

The solution is to see and delete what is configured in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge and/or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge like @silversurfer said.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Tools like O&O ShutUp10 probably causing this "issue" as well, beside tweaks via group policy as said by @show-Zi

@JB007 You can searching Google and find known solutions... A few months ago, for me did the trick to check for related entries in Windows Registry:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge

Thanks @silversurfer
There is no "Edge" on my "current user" ?!

Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 152554.png

I'm not sure if I have to delete all these entries ? :

Capture d’écran 2022-09-21 152958.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I recall, just deleted the full Edge folder (as shown on your screenshot above)

I found my bookmarked link, that was the solution for me...
Deleting the Edge registry key will reset all Group Policy settings to their default, unblock the locked Edge options, and remove the mentioned message.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.