Technology Microsoft Edge may have changed your saved passwords to serial key-like strings

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Microsoft’s bug or update quietly changed saved passwords in Edge on Windows 11, iOS and other devices to GUID-like serial key strings, confusing the community. This change has allegedly made saved passwords useless for copying and pasting into other apps or websites. For example, if your saved password for Facebook is “Hello@123”, it would appear as “6B29FC40-CA47-1067-B31D-00DD010662DA” when you try to view the saved password in Microsoft Edge.

As you probably know, Microsoft Edge’s saved passwords are stored and encrypted on the Microsoft servers and synced across your device in real-time. These passwords are also cached onto the local folder for Edge, and only Microsoft can read the data in the folder or on the server. You can view all the passwords saved to that profile from the passwords page in the profile settings. From there, you view your saved passwords by clicking the eye icon in the list and clearing a security challenge (enter password or PIN and use facial recognition). After clicking the eye icon, you can see the password. The process is as simple as that, but that’s no longer true after recent server-side updates.

Windows Latest has received reports from our readers claiming that “Microsoft Edge changed my saved passwords to serial keys (GUIDs), and I can no longer view or copy the original password”. “Edge has changed all my saved passwords to something like a serial key. Is there a way to fix it?” one user posted in a Reddit thread. Fortunately, there is a way to revert the broken Edge password update. If your saved passwords appear as strings or numbers and want to view them again, use these steps:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Something to do with new "Wallet" experience? I haven't enabled it so far.
1695729343584.png

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There is nothing new to enable/disable. It just opens a new, separate page now. Another useless change.

I can still view passwords normally so no bug here. Just crap!
I am afraid to enable new features cause they are testing it out, if it was stable it would be ON by default.
Or it could be my PTSD acting up from getting so many BSODs at the start of this year.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.