BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Source

Since this isn’t yet an official release, a changelog isn’t available, so it’s hard to tell exactly what’s been changed since the previous version.

However, after using the browser for several hours, I can tell that the overall reliability and browsing speed have both been improved in this build, though you can only notice it when comparing it with the older version side by side.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Okay, I tried it and it works (y) thanks for the link

Installs in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\Application. I have SRP, so moved it to Program Files\Chromium_Edge without any problems. Clicking on the links in the browser itself only displayed Edge store extenstions. After allowing the switch to install extensions from other stores, I surfed to Chrome Web store and installed Chrone extensions. User interface is a little different (e.g. search engines can be managed from option Address Bar.

I added the extensions Auto History Wipe, Blank New Tab Page, Privacy possum and (EDIT) Adguard. All extensions seem to work fine.

I could also add all my Chrome Flags (Discuss - List of Interesting Experimental Flags for Google Chrome ), except for one: Disable Hyperlink Auditing :confused:

Next I added msedge.exe to Windows Defender Exploit Protection and (default rules always apply unless explicitely disabled) added:
- Code Integrity Guard (Restricts loading of images signed by Microsoft, WHQL, or higher. Can optionally allow Microsoft Store signed images)
- Disable extension points (Disables various extensibility mechanisms that allow DLL injection into all processes, such as AppInit DLLs, window
hooks, and Winsock service providers)

Then I downloaded free MemProtect (Chromium_Edge is a beta so I like some extra mitigation) and it worked fine with these rules: Allowing only to spawn itself (like Chrome) and Windows Defender when checking downloaded executables.. Since the above WD Exploit protection tweak for msEdge only allows to load signed Microsoft DLL's, I only blacklisted some stuff Edge (Chromium) should never load (e.g. Flash. dotNet, Powershell, Visual basic DLL and JavaScript DLL's). With these Free tweaks it should be much safer than Chrome, so I de-installed Chrome :)

[LETHAL]
[#LOGGING]
[#INSTALLMODE]
[DEFAULTALLOW]
[MODULEFILTER]
[WHITELIST]
!*\msedge.exe>*\msedge.exe
!*\msedge.exe>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*
*>*
[BLACKLIST]
*\msedge.exe>*
[MODULEWHITELIST]
*>*
[MODULEBLACKLIST]
!*\msedge.exe>*\Macromed\*
!*\msedge.exe>*\Microsoft.NET\*
!*\msedge.exe>*\WindowsPowerShell\*
!*\msedge.exe>*\jscript.dll
!*\msedge.exe>*\jscript9.dll
!*\msedge.exe>*\vbscript.dll
[EOF]

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Okay, I tried it and it works (y) thanks for the link

Installs in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\Application. I have SRP, so moved it to Program Files\Chromium_Edge without any problems. Clicking on the links in the browser itself only displayed Edge store extenstions. After allowing the switch to install extensions from other stores, I surfed to Chrome Web store and installed Chrone extensions. User interface is a little different (e.g. search engines can be managed from option Address Bar.

I added the extensions Auto History Wipe, Blank New Tab Page, Privacy possum and SmartAdBlock. All extensions seem to work fine e.g. manually adding some extra rules and blocklists in SmartAdblock (added Squid Advertising Block List and disabled EasyList and Fanboy).

I could also add all my Chrome Flags, except for one: Disable Hyperlink Auditing :confused:

Next I added msedge.exe to Windows Defender Exploit Protection and (default rules always apply unless explicitely disabled) added:
- Code Integrity Guard (Restricts loading of images signed by Microsoft, WHQL, or higher. Can optionally allow Microsoft Store signed images)
- Disable extension points (Disables various extensibility mechanisms that allow DLL injection into all processes, such as AppInit DLLs, window
hooks, and Winsock service providers)

Then I downloaded free MemProtect (Chromium_Edge is a beta so I like some extra mitigation) and it worked fine with these rules: Allowing only to spawn itself (like Chrome) and Windows Defender when checking downloaded executables.. Since WD Exploit protection only allows to load signed Microsoft DLL's, I only blacklisted some stuff Edge (Chromium) should never load (e.g. Flash. dotNet, Powershell, old Visual basic and old JavaScript). With these Free tweaks it should be much safer than Chrome, so I de-installed Chrome :)

[LETHAL]
[#LOGGING]
[#INSTALLMODE]
[DEFAULTALLOW]
[MODULEFILTER]
[WHITELIST]
!*\msedge.exe>*\msedge.exe
!*\msedge.exe>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*
*>*
[BLACKLIST]
*\msedge.exe>*
[MODULEWHITELIST]
*>*
[MODULEBLACKLIST]
!*\msedge.exe>*\Macromed\*
!*\msedge.exe>*\Microsoft.NET\*
!*\msedge.exe>*\WindowsPowerShell\*
!*\msedge.exe>*\jscript.dll
!*\msedge.exe>*\jscript9.dll
!*\msedge.exe>*\vbscript.dll
[EOF]

View attachment 211635
What bad stuff does jscript9.dll do? I used to block it, but many legit programs use it.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
What bad stuff does jscript9.dll do? I used to block it, but many legit programs use it.
It is the JavaScript used by Internet Explorer, so in itself it does nothing bad. Chrome (and Chromium Edge) use the V8 javascript engine, so anything trying to run a script with jscript9.dll has deviated from the normal path. In 99.9999999% these anomolies are caused by malware.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It is the JavaScript used by Internet Explorer, so in itself it does nothing bad. Chrome (and Chromium Edge) use the V8 javascript engine, so anything trying to run a script with jscript9.dll has deviated from the normal path. In 99.9999999% these anomolies are caused by malware.
Interesting. I will try blocking it again and see if it actually breaks something. Programs often access a file they don't truly need.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Running wonderfully on Windows7(y)
Add ins/extensions are limited, however I have 3 of the 4 installed that I normally use.

You have to select/enable " install extensions from other stores " then surf to Chrome Web Store manually with Edge browser and jclick install for the selected extension (like you do in Chrome).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does it share features from Edge for Android/iOS, namely AdBlock Plus and Newsguard toggles?

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Is there a option to make dials on the startpage? Do not realy want to add a extension for it. Something like Vivaldi got? I realy need it. The only reason i would not use Edge, because it is surprisingly nice and fast.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.