Microsoft employee explains decision to scrap the Start button

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
IxNWp.jpg

One of the biggest gripes that longtime Windows users have with the upcoming OS release is Microsoft's decision to pull the classic Start menu to make way for a new Metro start screen. Many have called out the company for forcing what they claim is a touch-friendly interface optimized for tablets on desktop users, worried that productivity might suffer as a result.

But Microsoft believes the Start button had actually fallen out of favor with users of Windows 7 already and that presented the opportunity to do something new.

Read more: http://www.techspot.com/news/49187-microsoft-employee-explains-decision-to-scrap-the-startbutton.html

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I just have this feeling that Windows 8 is just going to be another Vista.
I tried the Release Preview a couple of weeks ago and I just didn't like it at all, Its just best for tablets.
So, I'm going to be sticking with Windows 7.

RIP Start Button.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Good riddance to the Start button.

Windows 8 is finely tuned for the Desktop and Tablet devices.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Whatever they do I will wait for final version and then decide if I will go with 7 or 8
And about the Start button issue there are lot of tutorials on web on how to add start button,if i use 8 in feature either i will make myself habituated to work without start button or i 'add" it.
Why there is so noise in the cyber world for this small issue

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Au revoir start button. You were the most iconic thing about Windows. We'll all miss you (except Earth, for some reason.) :(
Well, it looks like KDE for windows may be getting a bit more attention for windows 8, since it'll be one of the only ways of getting a start button.
It looks like Microsoft is now taking design ideas from GNOME as well as KDE with the new start menu. That's a shame, I hate GNOME.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
i really don't understand why they feel that taking out the start button would be good for use atleast put an option where we can just activate the start buton this make me mad! as i can see users love their start button and this is a fail idea as this would be preventing many user from making the switch to windows 8 so to me franckly this is a stupid move from them and they will loose money in some kind of aspect so either microsoft is foolish or they just don't care what their clients want.just my 2 cent

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Scrap the start button, that's the whole point of Windows for the past 17 years. I think it's a bit stupid. Well it will show who goes out and buy it and like 3link9 it might turn out to be another Vista.

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
Love the crying about the missing start button... Is that all you can complain about? Just accept change.
Imo, the tiny startmenu with the treeview in it was pain to navigate, now there is a full screen dedicated. Press Winkey, click on program, and back to desktop. How is it so bad? You also can just type, and it finds programs faster than before.

PS: The iconic thing about Windows are probably the windows, not the start menu/icon/orb/whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.