Microsoft Employees Working Among the Trees

P

plat1098

Thread author
"In the latest edition of crazy perks tech companies give their employees, Microsoft is building tree houses for its employees.

One tree house, nestled in the bows of a Pacific Northwest Douglas Fir on the company's Redmond, Washington, campus, serves a meeting room. It features a round skylight that lets in "just a bubble of blue" and is more "Hobbit than HQ" according to a post on a Microsoft Blog. "

:unsure:

D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
I think this was done because it may help work performance - if the environment/setting is nice then you may be able to think more clearly and this can lead to more creative thoughts also. If the environment/setting is not very nice at all, you may be easily distracted and/or not be able to think clearly.

If this wasn't the reason, maybe Microsoft just thought it'd look cool or employees wanted it to be done because they like nature. Who knows.

Everyone is different and may work better under different conditions, others can work the same regardless of their work conditions.

P

plat1098

Thread author
Do think this was aimed more at male employees, since boys like tree hoses and girls like Barbies?

Yeah @boredog, who cares, OK? They can swing from tall buildings like Spider-Man/Woman if it gives us bork-free "updates," you know?

This looks more like "indirect" advertising to me. Gosh, look at Microsoft, that's so extraordinary. Lemme run out and buy a Surface Pro 5 right now. :ROFLMAO:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
It is not dissimilar to what Google has already done, apparently if they create a happy/fun workplace then in turn they have less stressed, happy workers thus increasing the employees productivity and creativity. I have had some ##### jobs and there is nothing worse than going into your work and really wishing you were somewhere else. I don't fancy a treehouse though, i would never get up the ladder let alone get back down :ROFLMAO: Maybe the tree house was built too high and that is why the MS employees seem to have their heads in the clouds most of the time, lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
It is not dissimilar to what Google has already done, apparently if they create a happy/fun workplace then in turn they have less stressed, happy workers thus increasing the employees productivity and creativity.
In a way I actually think that it works really well, because... If you are working from Home it is probably more enjoyable, but it isn't as social. If you have a fun work-place like big companies like themselves try to create, then it would be like working from Home with the social side (e.g. like in school you like talking to friends constantly, now you can do it while relaxed at work and getting paid).

Personally I'd love to be working in a fun environment with the social aspect, but also get time to work in quiet when necessary. Instead of working from Home entirely alone, or working in an environment which is difficult to manage with and isn't very appealing at all!

Avast are one of the top employers in Czech republic and they seem to have taken a similar/same approach to make a fun work-place, and in the end they get really good work delivered by employees. :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am pretty sure it was created to be a unique environment that inspires and promotes creativity, and alleviates the monotony that standard office environments promote.
Barbies & Sexism aside. ;)

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
There is no ladder. I is a plank ramp. I see they added two new employes too. Tarzan and Jane.:D

Ah well, that swings it for me then. I won't be applying for a job with MS as my dodgy legs don't do ramps :p

In a way I actually think that it works really well, because... If you are working from Home it is probably more enjoyable, but it isn't as social. If you have a fun work-place like big companies like themselves try to create, then it would be like working from Home with the social side (e.g. like in school you like talking to friends constantly, now you can do it while relaxed at work and getting paid).

Personally I'd love to be working in a fun environment with the social aspect, but also get time to work in quiet when necessary. Instead of working from Home entirely alone, or working in an environment which is difficult to manage with and isn't very appealing at all!

Avast are one of the top employers in Czech republic and they seem to have taken a similar/same approach to make a fun work-place, and in the end they get really good work delivered by employees. :)

I wholeheartedly agree with you as i'm sure many of the employees of these companies would do. Happy workplace = Happy people.

I am pretty sure it was created to be a unique environment that inspires and promotes creativity, and alleviates the monotony that standard office environments promote.
Barbies & Sexism aside. ;)

+1 (y)

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
How come they never show older people in these promotions? Old peoples lives matter. For the most part I have been only joking around. I would love to work out of a tree house but not in the winter if I were a young person in the working force. Then I would prefer to work on a Carrabian island. Much of the younger generation do work from home for some days out of the week. Unless I get bored with being retired, I won't have to worry about it. I still get offers for work even after retiring. Actually I get way more then when I was working. Suppose they want to try get experience for cheap because of age. Not sure.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
It is not dissimilar to what Google has already done, apparently if they create a happy/fun workplace then in turn they have less stressed, happy workers thus increasing the employees productivity and creativity. I have had some ##### jobs and there is nothing worse than going into your work and really wishing you were somewhere else. I don't fancy a treehouse though, i would never get up the ladder let alone get back down :ROFLMAO: Maybe the tree house was built too high and that is why the MS employees seem to have their heads in the clouds most of the time, lol.
The ladder guarantees employee retention then :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
How come they never show older people in these promotions? Old peoples lives matter. For the most part I have been only joking around. I would love to work out of a tree house but not in the winter if I were a young person in the working force. Then I would prefer to work on a Carrabian island. Much of the younger generation do work from home for some days out of the week. Unless I get bored with being retired, I won't have to worry about it. I still get offers for work even after retiring. Actually I get way more then when I was working. Suppose they want to try get experience for cheap because of age. Not sure.
I feel ya, I played The Division for 5hrs today, in the middle of the day on a Monday, I felt like I had done something wrong :(
I am not used to being retired yet lol. I do stay a lil busy, but it does feel weird.

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.