CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft explains why it delayed Windows 10 version 1803 release

Microsoft planned to release the Spring Creators Update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1803, last Tuesday on the April 2018 Patch Day.

The company decided against the rollout of the new version of Windows 10 in what seemed like a last minute attempt at preventing that a buggy release hit consumer systems worldwide.

Microsoft did not reveal back then why it decided to delay the release of the new version; in fact, the company never confirmed that April 10, 2018 was the day that it planned to release Windows 10 version 1803 to the public.

windows-10-fall-creators-update-prompt.jpg

Rumors started to spread quickly after journalists with sources inside Microsoft started to claim that Microsoft delayed the release. While most experts agreed that the delay must have been caused by a larger issue that Microsoft detected in the last minute, speculation ranged from a serious security issue to bugs that decreased system stability.

Microsoft revealed yesterday evening on the official Windows Experience blog why it had to delay the release of the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update:
As Build 17133 progressed through the rings, we discovered some reliability issues we wanted to fix. In certain cases, these reliability issues could have led to a higher percentage of (BSOD) on PCs for example. Instead of creating a Cumulative Update package to service these issues, we decided to create a new build with the fixes included.

Microsoft noticed a bug that caused an increase in reliability issues on machines build 17133, the build of Windows 10 version 1803 that Microsoft selected for distribution to release systems.

The bug led to an increase in Blue Screen of Deaths according to Microsoft and it may have caused other issues as well as Microsoft gives BSODs as an example but does not reveal other issues the build may have caused.

Microsoft could have pushed a day zero cumulative update for the operating system if the bluescreens and other issues occurred during use and not during boot or installation.

Closing Words
While I don't have access to all the facts, I think that Microsoft did the right decision in postponing the release of the next Windows 10 feature update. Windows customers don't lose anything as they may continue to use the version of Windows 10 that is installed on their devices.

Past releases have shown that even smaller Windows updates result in an increased number of bugs and issues that Windows users experience after installation. Bigger feature updates are no exception to that,

Source: Microsoft explains why it delayed Windows 10 version 1803 release - gHacks Tech News

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I have one license for windows 10 pro, but I opted to reject this system and its constant characteristics, for these same reasons of incompatibility and instability I decided not to jump so fast towards him, and I am so-happy with my old win7 ult, and win10 ltsb build. ¿Are you bored, if you are a person who only visit websites, watch videos, and processes text then move on to debian?

D

Deleted member 65228

To be honest, I don't think the holding back of the update is even a small problem; it's a positive thing as far as I am concerned.

Bugs are natural and come packaged with all software packages - software can work wonderfully for years on the same environment and then be affected by an previously unknown bug, which may have been present from day 1 all along and just had not been triggered for one reason or another until many years later. People find bugs with software they have had no problems with for years after configuration changes are made, people find bugs in security solutions, people find bugs in web-browsers... bugs are a natural key area in software engineering. However, bugs are not only negative, they can be positive indirectly, by helping people improve their thinking, communication, development and / innovation skills.

I find the holding back of the update for public release as a sign that they are trying to be more responsible when it comes to public update releases (non-Windows Insider users)... we'll have to wait and find out since only time will tell.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
To be honest, I don't think the holding back of the update is even a small problem; it's a positive thing as far as I am concerned.

Bugs are natural and come packaged with all software packages - software can work wonderfully for years on the same environment and then be affected by an previously unknown bug, which may have been present from day 1 all along and just had not been triggered for one reason or another until many years later. People find bugs with software they have had no problems with for years after configuration changes are made, people find bugs in security solutions, people find bugs in web-browsers... bugs are a natural key area in software engineering. However, bugs are not only negative, they can be positive indirectly, by helping people improve their thinking, communication, development and / innovation skills.

I find the holding back of the update for public release as a sign that they are trying to be more responsible when it comes to public update releases (non-Windows Insider users)... we'll have to wait and find out since only time will tell.

Exactly. You have to remember the countless different combinations of hardware in the mass of computers out there.

It is a daunting task creating software that will work on all of them without any problems, in fact it is impossible until after all of them have been exposed to the software. Once those bugs pop up you can then iron out the issues, but being able to account for all those machine before release and hoping to release without any bugs on any machine is absurd.

Reactions: Viking and XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.