Microsoft gobbles up AV ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Microsoft's free antivirus Security Essentials is now the top antivirus product in the world, and Windows XP continues its downward spiral, according to one report.

Microsoft Security Essentials may not have done well in recent independent tests, but it's now the global leader in security suite market share for the first time since it debuted in 2009, says Opswat's latest study.

Opswat gauges usage by looking at the software installed on computers running their AppRemover program. The data came from more than 150,000 computers.

More Info here

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3667_7-57558372/microsoft-gobbles-up-av-ground/

and

http://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-december-2012

Time since last update in top security suites

I must agree with them seeing as I was one who switched from ESET to Windows Defender.
But i never used appremover !

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Microsoft does not know security from a wet hole in the ground.

Now Chuck Norris on the other hand; HE IS SECURITY.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
and yet we still are on windows,if not for Microsoft and Windows this forum would not have as many users as it has now ;)

No Pun intended.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Oh boy, Another Chuck Norris spin:p :D

I thought Chuck Norris was Microsoft's Security

Seriously though,I would imagine this is because it is included in the OS and a majority of people just use that.I feel that it doesnt paint an accurate picture since 3rd party retail AV software cannot be compared to what comes with an OS.Windows is obviously going to have the market share.The 2 top ones M$ and Avast are both free versions

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
@ White Nobster you are mistaken in saying that it comes with the OS. Only Windows Defender Comes with the OS not MSE and in this report if you check Windows 8 has a share of only about 1%.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Should I Trust this.
Mse leading all the way specially when user have option of free avast,avira
:shy:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
sorry if I misunderstood bu I still dont take too much stock in that report,just my opinion.

I

illumination

MSE does not come with the OS, but upon updating windows updates, if you have no anti virus it is offered through the update service as an optional update.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
well I think this report might be true, seeing as I am one of the people who did switch from ESET to Windows defender. is it as good as ESET ? Definitely not. but its good enough.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Weren't in some tests MSE was coming close to last? I could be wrong though.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Opswat gauges usage by looking at the software installed on computers running their AppRemover program. The data came from more than 150,000 computers." - AppRemover is used to remove Security applications, so most wanted MSE gone. :p

150,000 of 2,405,518,376 Internet users on 30 June 2012 (ignoring the fact that shared PC's exists)

What a tiny sample.

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
Earth said:
150,000 of 2,405,518,376 Internet users on 30 June 2012 (ignoring the fact that shared PC's exists)

What a tiny sample.
My thoughts exactly. I would feel bad for sounding as ridiculous as OPSWAT just did... What if this whole thing only shows what security softwares their 150000 users uninstalled? That would mean MSE < any other security software.

"AVAST continues to lead the worldwide antivirus vendor market, but Microsoft is quickly closing the gap. While AVAST’s share (17.5%) has changed little over the last six months, Microsoft has increased by 3.6% to a 16.8% market share."

"Microsoft's free antivirus Security Essentials is now the top antivirus product in the world."

Condradiction huh? Maybe in North USA.

Also doesn't change the facts that MSE is one of the lesser good AVs out there.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This report makes for some back and forth banter but as a gauge of a products level of security and performance capabilities,NO.Is it MSE bad? I would say no.Is it better than some 3rd part security software? yes.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
I don't see any reason to doubt the report. 150,000 might seem like a tiny sample but if the project was done scientifically then its not.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bo.elam said:
I don't see any reason to doubt the report. 150,000 might seem like a tiny sample but if the project was done scientifically then its not.

Bo

I also believe it is accurate, most of my customers choose MSE over other free options. Most of them already have MSE installed and want to keep it.

Of coarse MSE would not be the first free AV that I would recommend.

Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.