Microsoft leaks 38TB of private data

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Microsoft AI research division accidentally leaked dozens of terabytes of sensitive data starting in July 2020 while contributing open-source AI learning models to a public GitHub repository.

Almost three years later, this was discovered by cloud security firm Wiz whose security researchers found that a Microsoft employee inadvertently shared the URL for a misconfigured Azure Blob storage bucket containing the leaked information.
The Wiz Research Team found that besides the open-source models, the internal storage account also inadvertently allowed access to 38TB worth of additional private data.

The exposed data included backups of personal information belonging to Microsoft employees, including passwords for Microsoft services, secret keys, and an archive of over 30,000 internal Microsoft Teams messages originating from 359 Microsoft employees.

In an advisory on Monday by the Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) team, Microsoft said that no customer data was exposed, and no other internal services faced jeopardy due to this incident.

Wiz reported the incident to MSRC on June 22nd, 2023, which revoked the SAS token to block all external access to the Azure storage account, mitigating the issue on June 24th, 2023.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
giphy.gif

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
As part of the Wiz Research Team’s ongoing work on accidental exposure of cloud-hosted data, the team scanned the internet for misconfigured storage containers. In this process, we found a GitHub repository under the Microsoft organization named . The repository belongs to Microsoft’s AI research division, and its purpose is to provide open-source code and AI models for image recognition. Readers of the repository were instructed to download the models from an Azure Storage

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Darn it, I knew that I should not have shared my sleep schedule with MS. That explains why my castle in Stronghold Online was taken over twice during that time, while I was asleep. :(

What are you talking about, I'm still trying to perfect my Asteroid and Space Invader skills 😅

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.