frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Statistics show the world is moving to Firefox and Chrom

Microsoft replaced Internet Explorer with Edge browser in Windows 10 in an attempt to offer users a worthy alternative to Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but it turns out that the software giant’s plan isn’t working exactly as it hoped.

Statistics show that Microsoft Edge barely improves its market share every month, while Internet Explorer collapses at a really face pace, mostly because Microsoft no longer provides improvements and new features, but only security updates.

Microsoft’s browsers losing users every month
Data provided by NetMarketShare for the month of October shows that Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge had a combined share of 28.4 percent, down 2.3 percent from the previous month. Google Chrome dominates the market with 55 percent, while Firefox managed to improve by 2 percent to reach 11.1 percent.

What’s worse for Microsoft is that its browser efforts are not really successful and, as you can see in this chart put together by CW, the company is losing users on a monthly basis.

No less than 331 million users abandoned Microsoft browsers, be they Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, for other applications this year online, and the number is expected to increase in the remaining two months in 2016. Microsoft started the year with 800 million users and gradually dropped every month to eventually reach 466 million users in October.

In the meantime, however, Microsoft keeps improving Edge with new features, and the Anniversary Update that launched in August brought support for extensions and some other small tweaks. This work is set to continue with the arrival of the Creators Update in early 2017.

But despite Microsoft’s efforts to improve Edge, its adoption rate is dramatically impacted by limited availability, as it’s exclusively available on Windows 10, while all of its rivals, including leaders Chrome and Firefox, are available on all Windows versions currently on the market, including the discontinued Windows XP.

Microsoft has no plans to bring Edge browser on any other OS version than Windows 10, as it thinks that this app can serve as a reason to convince more users to upgrade from a previous release of Windows.

jB9D0zU.jpg

Link. Microsoft Loses 331 Million Browser Users to Google Chrome and Firefox

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Firefox is my ally. Edge uses up too many resources and doesn't even come close to the support of all the extensions Firefox and Chrome have. I guess we shall see what they have in store for their "Creators Update".

Reactions: Fritz and Dirk41

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
So glad to read this, makes my day. :) Why the versatile Firefox never hit top spot completely eludes me.

Hint for companies throwing browsers without even the possibilty of extensions on the market:
You cannot always release crap and fix it later. First impressions do count.

My only Edge-moments in life: Open Edge, go to Netflix, watch movie in 1080p, close Edge. :p

Reactions: In2an3_PpG

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Huge marketing success IE and now EDGE is because it is used by large companies and banks. In my country until recently you could not have used any other browser except for IE to login to you bank account or any government website.

Reactions: askmark

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Honestly, I don't have any problems with Edge, it's a nice browser, it works well, etc. but I've been a Google Chrome user for years and I like it. Why would I change? It just works for me. It's like Linux distros trying to convince Windows users to do the shift. If Windows works for you, why would you want to switch?

Reactions: askmark

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
For a while after Windows 10 launch, Edge was on everyone's radar as being the "most secure" browser. We wanted extension support. They gave it to us... a year later. Website loading is still a major bug they haven't addressed since launch too. They marketed the hell out of Edge, but their follow-through was poorly executed. On that timeline, Chrome and Firefox have both run circles around Edge already.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Huge marketing success IE and now EDGE is because it is used by large companies and banks. In my country until recently you could not have used any other browser except for IE to login to you bank account or any government website.

All I can see is that IE and now Edge are anything but a marketing success. And yes, as I said before, some nice applications require it. Otherwise it'd be gone all the way by now.

Honestly, I don't have any problems with Edge, it's a nice browser, it works well, etc. but I've been a Google Chrome user for years and I like it. Why would I change? It just works for me. It's like Linux distros trying to convince Windows users to do the shift. If Windows works for you, why would you want to switch?

Edge covers the most basic needs. If that's ok, then it's all good I reckon. To me, it starts with all the little things like intuitiveness. Try to pull a website into the favorite bar real quick e.g.

Also, everybody's different. I'm always looking out, there might be better stuff out there than what I'm using. Others are perfectly fine with what they've got. To each their own. :)

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.