Hot Take Microsoft makes Windows 10 security updates FREE for an extra year — but there's a catch, and you might not like it

Parkinsond

Level 67
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Microsoft has announced that it’s making Windows 10’s extended security updates (ESU) program free for anyone who syncs their PC settings data to the cloud via a Microsoft Account, using the new Windows Backup app. While mainstream support still ends on October 14 this year, the company is making it very easy to remain supported via security updates until October 2026 for free.

 
This is indeed a great move by Microsoft to extend security updates for Windows 10 users till 2026. However, it's important to note that this is only applicable for those who sync their PC settings data to the cloud via a Microsoft Account using the new Windows Backup app.
 
When the product is free, your data is the actual price.
Microsoft is the perfect example where this isn't the case. Here it's much worse. You pay for Windows, and then you continue financing it with your usage.
I stay signed in to MS on my administrator account. It's necessary to enable PIN sign-in. And I love telemetry. It keeps users safe with various security measures, e.g. Smartscreen, MS Defender, SAC, etc. ;)
I respect that. Though I'm on the opposite side.

You can't expect me to pay for Windows, and then continue to serve me ads, collect data about me and force me to use your other products. When I buy something, I expect to own it, have total control over it and no ads, tracking whatsoever.
or you can get iot ltsc version with security updates until the end of 2031 2032 🙃
You could... I don't have a problem with using LTSC version too. But many members here do things strictly official and they can't use it due to their beliefs.
 
Last edited:
I was thinking of moving my sister's laptop to ltsc iot version but this saves me from having to think about it for another year.
iot ltsc has many advantages beside the extended security updates; less preinstalled apps and the option for a more limited telemetry using group policy editor.
I have never used pro or even regular enterprise versions for ages.
 
iot ltsc has many advantages beside the extended security updates; less preinstalled apps and the option for a more limited telemetry using group policy editor.
I have never used pro or even regular enterprise versions for ages.
For my current device I don't see much benefit compared to Pro, as I use Onedrive and many store apps. And I would have to install them manually later.
 
Sounds interesting - but how? I'm guessing it's a complete re-install of the OS that I have to buy somewhere?
Yes, it is better to make a fresh install of iot ltsc version.
We do not pay for MS products here.
We_Don't_Do_That_Here.jpg
 
Sounds interesting - but how? I'm guessing it's a complete re-install of the OS that I have to buy somewhere?
You can edit the registry so that the installer thinks you are already running LTSC and by doing so, you can upgrade.
You need to purchase it. There a various dodgy sellers online, selling cheap licenses. However they are being sold illegally, as LTSC versions can't legally be sold to or used by individual users.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top