Microsoft OneDrive Gets a More Secure Personal Vault

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Microsoft is launching a new layer of security for users of its OneDrive cloud storage service. OneDrive Personal Vault is a new section of your storage that's accessed through two-step verification, or a "strong authentication method," although Microsoft didn't define the latter term.

Microsoft notes that fingerprinting, face scans, PINs, and one-time codes by email, SMS, or an authenticator app are among the acceptable two-step verification methods. And you’ll automatically get de-authenticated after a period of inactivity—that's the key to Microsoft's special security argument here. Two-factor authentication using text or email is less secure than other options. Using the more heavy-duty face or fingerprint verification will require the appropriate hardware, such as a device with Windows Hello. It also has options for transferring physical documents to the OneDrive mobile app. You can scan documents or take photos directly into the Personal Vault section without needing to store the file in a less secure part of your device first.

Users will have to be patient about this update, because Personal Vault will be getting a gradual rollout. The company said in its press release that Australia, New Zealand, and Canada will be getting the service “soon,” and all users will have it by the end of 2019. Personal Vault is coming to OneDrive on the Web, the OneDrive mobile app, and on Windows 10 PCs. OneDrive does have standard security in place for all users even without the extra oomph of Personal Vault, such as file encryption both in Microsoft Cloud servers and in transit to your device. The tighter security option seems intended to give Microsoft customers more peace of mind for backing up very sensitive or important personal information. The debut of Personal Vault is the big development, but Microsoft has minor items from its storage team that are also welcome news. The OneDrive standalone storage plan is being increased from 50GB to 100GB without any change in cost. This change will be happening soon and won’t require any action from users.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I pay for the small storage plan as 5GB always been too little and I needed it to work with my previous Windows phone. Now that Microsoft will automatic increase that to 100GB, and without any change of cost I see as very positive.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Yeah well as far as privacy goes there are none on Microsoft (as well as Google and most other clouds), so I don't believe this new Vault feature. Sure it will keep your files safe from potential hackers, but not from the eyes of Microsoft and various government agencies. Microsoft might actually spy even more on that as it's most likely to contain sensitive informations.

I will never trust a cloud service that prohibits you from posting nudes (not that I care about that), as that means they actively scan all your content, and therefore could access it if they wanted to. They also prohibit the use of strong language on Skype, despite it being messenger and not a social network.

The only thing good with OneDrive is it's exceptional value for money when having an Office subscription. I bought 3 licenses of Office 365 Family on Amazon when it was on sale and have 3 years of Office and 5tb of storage for my family for less than 200€. Can't beat that price for storing everyday life stuff.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.