Microsoft proud to have blocked nearly 71 billion cyberattacks in 2021 but is also worried

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft today unveiled Cyber Signals, a new online cybersecurity magazine, sort of, that will contain the latest Microsoft research and data regarding various current cyber threats. The magazine will be released quarterly and in its announcement blog post, the firm has touted that it was able to prevent billions of cybersecurity threats last year using its solutions.

In total, Microsoft says it blocked nearly 71 billion cyberattacks in 2021 using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, Microsoft Defender for Office 365, and Microsoft Azure Active Directory (AD). The breakdown is given below:

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Big deal. As long as a strong password is used (14 characters?), then multifactor or passwordless solutions are not really essential.
There is still a chance of a compromised system. Then even a password with 200 characters wouldn't help as the hacker will have access to the password no matter how strong the password is. Multi-factor-authentication is essential nowadays imo. Even if the hacker knows your password, he has no real chance to access your account without the associated PIN.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
There is still a chance of a compromised system. Then even a password with 200 characters wouldn't help as the hacker will have access to the password no matter how strong the password is. Multi-factor-authentication is essential nowadays imo. Even if the hacker knows your password, he has no real chance to access your account without the associated PIN.
Yes, I understand fully if the system is compromised with malware, then of course the password could be siphoned from the victim's device. In my case, and this could be considered as overconfidence or arrogance, I take measures to prevent compromise of my device from ever happening. I use 2FA where mandated, otherwise I'd rather not be bothered, instead relying on good old fashioned strong passwords.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.