Microsoft Pulling Windows Phones from Stores As Lumia Brand Is Said to Be Dead

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
We’ve known for a while thanks to the rumor mill that the Lumia 650 is the last phone to be produced by Microsoft under the Lumia umbrella, and although there was no confirmation coming from the company itself regarding this change, it turns out that it is now taking the final steps to phase out the brand.

There are reports out there that Microsoft is pulling Windows phones from stores, so if you’re looking to buy a Lumia from the company’s official stores, it could really be a tough challenge.

The firm removed the Lumia section from its online store’s homepage and is now pulling phones from physical stores too, so it’s very clear that the focus is no longer on these devices.

Nobody at Microsoft stores seems to have an explanation for what is going on right now, and few employees actually use Windows phones. But given the earlier rumors that the Lumia brand would be phased out, it becomes more obvious that this is indeed the plan, and the company is now taking more substantial steps to accomplish its goal.

What’s new for Windows phones?
OK, so the Lumia brand is almost officially dead, but what’s next for Windows phones? Basically, even though Microsoft pulls Lumia phones, the firm will still continue its mobile push. The pioneer of this push will be the Surface Phone, if it ever sees daylight, with people familiar with Microsoft’s plans now saying that the device could launch next year, either earlier or later.

At the same time, Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10 Mobile, both the ecosystem and the operating system, so partner devices could see daylight in the coming months. It remains to be seen how many partners actually want to release such phones.

Read more: Microsoft Pulling Windows Phones from Stores As Lumia Brand Is Said to Be Dead

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows Phone have really no match against those frontrunners, either build a decent smartphone but under of Android for better functionality and customization.

But admit that the performance of Windows Phone is way better even a not so solid specifcations. I owned Lumia 625 model and tue overall smartphone is ndeed good. Windows is fine for laptop and desktop only.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I had use a Lumia 640 running Win8.1 Microsoft phone comes with a lot of build in Apps and I could find all the apps I needed in the store.

They have off line language files and Maps (used it often as navigation when on holiday). Even when there is no offline map, you can use the online map without costs. Easy integration with Outlook (desktop).

An Android phone with simular performace will cost twice as much as a Windows Phone, an Apple three times the price of a Windows phone. I have forgotten my phone twice when abroad, people always return it, because nobody wants to have one.

On top of that they have incredible battery life three times as long as Android, double hours compared to Apple (my Wife uses an Apple and has an Android phone for work). On holidays I use it also as e-reader.

Grab one for a discount price as long as you can!

Moi61

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
The only problem with the Lumia phones is the app gap. But, the rest are better compared to android and ios. My main reason I did buy a Lumia phone is the camera. No doubt, Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL has the best camera, particularly in low light conditions.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
The real strike that Lumia phones had to deal with is the incompetence of the people making the Windows 10 Mobile. Microsoft would have to insist or pay the developers to make the most popular apps to work on Windows 10 Mobile from the start, having the identical features like on Android or iOS... But this way :

• You didn't have enough users for developers even want to make the apps for Windows 10 Mobile
  • You always missed the deadline (several times) when you needed to deliver upgrade from W8.1---->W10
  • You would need to have a stable-enough OS to deliver to final customers
  • You would need to have really good price-per-feature phones if you wanted to catch up with Android
  • You would need to build a superphone (like HP did with X3 Elite) to be pair with Galaxy S series and iPhones.... Not some flagship made of plastic
... among other, minor things.
Now, Microsoft with this fail should learn on it's mistakes, let the other manufacturers build Windows Phones and IMHO should focus of optimizing their Windows 10 family...before releasing their Surface Phone

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I own a lumia 550. I am satisfied with it's performance,battery last's at least 2 days depending on use and i can find in the Store
all the essential apps i want.
I bought it in April for 70 euro.
let the other manufacturers build Windows Phones and IMHO should focus of optimizing their Windows 10 family...before releasing their Surface Phone
I agree.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.