Advice Request Microsoft Quietly Ends Downloads of Hotfixes and the FixIt Tool

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Microsoft has ended the downloading of hotfixes as of November of 2018. Information:

I found out about this quite by surprise when I went to download the hotfix for adding the SHA-2 hash support for reading digital signatures. I add this hotfix to W7 PCs. Most interesting to me is the notice that greets users on the page where the download was once located:

This hotfix has been discontinued. Instead, you can upgrade to Windows 10 and get the most up-to-date security and other features built right in. To get Windows 10, see Windows 10 Home. Need more info on Windows 10? See Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ.

You can find more information on how to upgrade to the latest update here:

It's my opinion that Microsoft should stand behind Windows 7 downloads. I was able to find the hotfix at another location, but this decision is very far reaching, especially occurring within the support time frame of Windows 7. Also, this action comes without notice and appears to me to be quite a corrosive and borderline cruel approach. I hope someone finds the gumption to sue MS over this one honestly.

Here is a link to the download page for KB2921916:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=2921916&kbln=en-us

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I found this out too over the last couple of weeks when i faced an issue with Windows, clicking on the links within the message i was receiving just kept me going round in circles and i was getting similar information to what you have posted and being redirected to pgaes that didn't exist and telling me how to upgrade to W10.

And even although we (W7 users) are supposed to be in the extended support period then to me that should mean right up until the very last day that W7 support ends not almost a year before that and we should still be able to find fixes. I miss my wee Mr Fixit guy who helped me out many times :cry:

StephAh

Mar 30, 2019
Microsoft has ended the downloading of hotfixes as of November of 2018. Information:

I found out about this quite by surprise when I went to download the hotfix for adding the SHA-2 hash support for reading digital signatures. I add this hotfix to W7 PCs. Most interesting to me is the notice that greets users on the page where the download was once located:

It's my opinion that Microsoft should stand behind Windows 7 downloads. I was able to find the hotfix at another location, but this decision is very far reaching, especially occurring within the support time frame of Windows 7. Also, this action comes without notice and appears to me to be quite a corrosive and borderline cruel approach. I hope someone finds the gumption to sue MS over this one honestly.

Here is a link to the download page for KB2921916:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=2921916&kbln=en-us
Hi AtlBo, You say you were able to find the hotfix you needed at another location. Could you please share that location? I am in desperate need of KB3087873 and KB2990941 in order to be able to use an M.2 NVME PCIe card on my Win7 SP1. I would be extremely grateful, if you could direct me to where I could acquire these. Best, StephAh

Reactions: AtlBo and oldschool

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Yes, I also found KB3087873 on Lenovo site here just now:

Windows Update Module KB3087873 for Windows 7 (64-bit) - ThinkPad - US

and also in Microsoft Catalog

Microsoft Update Catalog

KB2990941 on Lenovo site:

Windows Update Module KB2990941 for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad - US

As mentioned it doesn't exist in the Microsoft Catalog which is VERY strange. Maybe it's a good idea for you to keep these stored someplace. This is what I had to do->I Googled and found this site for one of the SHA-2 updates:

Windows6.1-KB2921916-x64.msu -> Language Neutral Windows 7 Hotfix Downloads -> Language Neutral Hotfix Downloads -> Downloads

Turned out I had kept both and was able to find the other one on a system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.