New Update Microsoft release critical Dynamic update to improve Windows 11 22H2 Setup, WinRE (KB5027318)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Last week, at the end of June, Microsoft released KB5027318 Dynamic Update, labeled "critical" for Windows 11 version 22H2. The dynamic update helps to improve the setup process of Windows, generally when a new feature update initiates.

The support article for the new KB5027318 update says:
KB5027318: Setup Dynamic Update for Windows 11, version 22H2:

Summary
This update makes improvements to Setup binaries or any files that Setup uses for feature updates in Windows 11, version 22H2.

In a Techcommunity blog post about Windows 10 Dynamic Updates, Microsoft explained Dynamic Updates in more detail regarding its various components and uses. These packages include fixes to Setup.exe binaries, SafeOS updates for Windows Recovery Environment, and more. [...]
The Dynamic update is available only via Microsoft Update Catalog. You can download it by visiting this link.
Windows 11 21H2 also got its Dynamic update under KB5027317 which you can find here.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1688537469823.png

I tried installing the cab file following the below instructions but it throws up error messages. Any help?

:rolleyes:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I tried installing the cab file following the below instructions but it throws up error messages. Any help?

Unfortunately, confirmed same "error" here on my older laptop 🤷‍♂️
I recall in the past for me was possible to install this kind of Dynamic updates via either CMD, Powershell or Terminal on Windows 11.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Unfortunately, confirmed same "error" here on my older laptop 🤷‍♂️
I recall in the past for me was possible to install this kind of Dynamic updates via either CMD, Powershell or Terminal on Windows 11.

I remember the last time the files downloaded from MS Update Catalog was a msi type so clicking on it will install straightaway. Not sure why MS changed to cab file now.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft details why your recent Windows 11 WinRE updates may have been failing
If you have noticed WinRE (Windows Recovery Environment) updates failing recently on your Windows 11 PC, there may be a reason. Microsoft published a guidance article recently explaining why it is happening and has also detailed how to deal with the issue.

The company says it has changed the way it delivers WinRE updates as they are being deployed via monthly cumulative updates through the Windows Update (WU) and the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). As such sufficiently large Recovery Partition is required for this and in the case the partition does not have enough room, the update will fail and display the following error message "Windows Recovery Environment servicing failed." The tech giant writes:
Summary
Microsoft has changed how it updates PCs that run the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). WinRE will be updated using the monthly cumulative update. This change only applies to PCs that get updates from Windows Update (WU) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). This change starts on June 27, 2023, for the Windows 11, version 22H2 cumulative update.
Some PCs might not have a recovery partition that is large enough to complete this update. Because of this, the update for WinRE might fail. You will receive the error message, "Windows Recovery Environment servicing failed.”

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.