Advice Request Microsoft Releases Tool To Prepare Windows 7/8.1 PC To Get Windows 10 Preview Via Windows Updates

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Microsoft plans to release the latest version of Windows 10 Technical Preview build (Windows 10 Consumer Preview build) in the third or fourth week of January, 2015. The Consumer Preview build will include many new features and improvements in addition to the features that we have already seen in the officially released Windows 10 9841 and 9879 builds.

When Microsoft releases the consumer preview (Windows 10 Technical Preview for consumers) build of Windows 10 in January, existing users who are running the official Windows 10 9879 build will be able to upgrade to the latest build by retaining data and installed programs.

For users who would like to perform a clean install of the latest build Microsoft will offer ISO image of the same. Users can then install Windows 10 on a virtual machine or prepare the bootable USB to install Windows 10 from USB on PC.

For those Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users who would like to upgrade their existing installation to the latest Windows 10 Preview build in January, Microsoft has released a free tool which will automatically serve you the latest Windows 10 Preview build via Windows Update in early 2015. That is, in simple words, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users can upgrade to Windows 10 Preview via Windows Update when the official preview is made available in early 2015.

To get Windows 10 Preview via Windows Updates in early 2015, you just need to download and run a small tool named Prepare Windows 8.1/7 for Windows Technical Preview build. Upon running the tool, you’ll see the following screen where you need to click OK button.

Before running the tool, please make sure that your PC meets Windows 10’s system requirements.

That said, we advise you against upgrading your current installation of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Preview as you can’t downgrade to Windows 7/8.1 from Windows 10 without performing a fresh installation.

If you’re excited about Windows 10 and want to test the Preview build, you can install the same either in a virtual machine or install it in dual boot with your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installation.

Visit the following pages to download Prepare Windows 8.1/7 for Windows Technical Preview tool. Note that separate executable are available for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. Good luck!

Download Prepare This PC for Windows 8.1

Download Prepare This PC for Windows 7

Source

amz

Level 4
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Will it be possible to upgrade from TP to the final version when it comes out without the need of fresh install?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
"free tool which will automatically serve you the latest Windows 10 Preview build via Windows Update in early 2015."
I don't know if I should be concern considering that Windows Update aren't the "safest" thing in the world.
I can just imagine something going wrong during an update making your computer completely unuseable

I would like it if someone would say I was wrong and that scenario or anything like it are impossible to happen.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
"free tool which will automatically serve you the latest Windows 10 Preview build via Windows Update in early 2015."
I don't know if I should be concern considering that Windows Update aren't the "safest" thing in the world.
I can just imagine something going wrong during an update making your computer completely unuseable

I would like it if someone would say I was wrong and that scenario or anything like it are impossible to happen.
That's why creating a backup of the system is always recommended ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well if that's a stable version already like for a free patch on Windows 8.1 then I will go for it, however still many circumstances that might sacrifice a bit buckets since its another major version, then till now unknown for decision from Microsoft. ;)

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
it work:)

Ashampoo_Snap_2015_01_24_10h19m05s_001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.