Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
PCMag said:
Microsoft is now rolling out the option to add two-factor authentication across its services.
[attachment=4188]
Microsoft accounts cover all of Redmond's services, from Windows PCs and Windows Phones, to Outlook.com, SkyDrive, Skype, and Office.
"Criminals [are] increasingly target[ing] customers online (across all major account systems), and so we constantly update our services to try to stay a step ahead and help keep you safe," Microsoft said in a blog post.
With two-factor authentication, users will be required to enter two passcodes when accessing an account - a normal password and a code sent via text message, for example.
Microsoft already enabled mandatory two-factor authentication for critical activities like editing credit cards and subscriptions on Microsoft.com and Xbox.com, or accessing files on a different computer via SkyDrive.com.
With the new update, customers can protect their entire account. "It's your choice whether you want to enable this, but for those of you that are looking for ways to add additional security to your account, we've worked hard to make set-up really easy," Microsoft said.
To enable, visit account.live.com/proofs/Manage. It will apply on Windows 8, any Web browser, as well as Microsoft apps and services on iOS and Android devices.
There's the option to reduce the number of prompts you receive on often-used or trusted devices; "you use a code sent to a phone or email only once (per Web browser per device) and we remember that device in the future." If you don't use the device for 60 days, the code will be reset.

Read more: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417876,00.asp

Attachments

• 0,1462,sz=1&i=319860,00.jpg
    0,1462,sz=1&i=319860,00.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 406

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I am conflicted. On one hand i really want the extra security on my Microsoft account. On the other hand two-factor authentication really is the most annoying thing in the world. Many times have i needed access to my Google account outside of cellphone coverage making it nearly imposible.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source : Neowin.Net

Microsoft will also be utilizing an app, called Microsoft Authenticator,
for Windows Phone users that will allow those individuals to access the app to generate a code when trying to access their accounts online as the second form of authentication; those of you on other platforms will have to use more traditional code distribution such as a text message.

On devices that you use frequently, you will have the option of only requiring the two-factor authentication one time but if you do not use the device for 60 days, you will be required to use two-factor authentication on your next login.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
iPanik said:
I am conflicted. On one hand i really want the extra security on my Microsoft account. On the other hand two-factor authentication really is the most annoying thing in the world. Many times have i needed access to my Google account outside of cellphone coverage making it nearly imposible.
I don't access my Google account for many computers, and I always check that "Trust this computer" box when loggin.
At this point, whenever I see a two-factor authentication option, I always opt-in. No doubt I'll use two-factor authentication for my Microsoft account.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Annoying but truly a crucial protection when a compromise account is handed by unknown users therefore any brutal force could be prevented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.