Technology Microsoft says it won’t fix Windows 10 KB5034441’s 0x80070643 error

nicolaasjan

Level 4
Thread author
May 29, 2023
Windows 10, version 22H2
Resolution: Automatic resolution of this issue won't be available in a future Windows update. Manual steps are necessary to complete the installation of this update on devices which are experiencing this error.
The WinRE partition requires 250 megabytes of free space. Devices which do not have sufficient free space will need to increase the size of the partition via manual action. For guidance on making this change, review the following resources:
Completion of these manual steps will allow the installation of this update to succeed.
Affected platforms:
  • Client: Windows 11, version 21H2; Windows 10, version 22H2; Windows 10, version 21H2
  • Server: Windows Server 2022

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I've been hoping Microsoft/Windows would get their act together and come out with a patch. Time to put my hard hat on and get to work on the 3 Windows 10 PCs I'm still getting this error on, including rechecking them 5 minutes ago.

edit:sp

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
TweakHound: Fixing Microsoft’s KB5034441 Charlie Foxtrot
Back in January I mentioned that there was an issue installing the Windows 10 KB5034441 update. This update provides an update to the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). The update fails for most people with error 0x80070643. The excuse given was, “update requires 250 MB of free space in the recovery partition to install successfully”. It failed on the 6 computers I have running Win10.
At the time I said about this, “here is a “fix”, I tried it and it works. HOWEVER, I DO NOT recommend it at this time. Give Microsoft time to see if they can fix this.”
Well, according to Neowin, “Microsoft has acknowledged that an automatic resolution for this issue will not be released and as such, the only way to fix this is manually.”
That’s just friggin’ great. A perfect example of the downfall of Microsoft. Create a problem due to poor quality control and then refuse to fix it. This has left the non-Geek out there to try and do a geeky exercise that could render their computer unbootable. Thanks Microsoft!
Here’s how to fix it…

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I do not even have WinRE, it is the first thing I disable, that might explain why some updates fail at first. :unsure:

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.