jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From MSE Site

About Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and is automatically updated to protect your PC with the latest technology.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

Before installing Microsoft Security Essentials, we recommend that you uninstall other antivirus software already running on your PC. Running more than one antivirus program at the same time can potentially cause conflicts that affect PC performance.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Good review. MSE is a RAM hog on most machines but in time that might be fixed.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Not sure but its like the process links to engine was consumed a high RAM, caused the one is the tray icon.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Just to add, Microsoft doesn't agree with adding self protection to MSE because once you machine is infected, especially in admin mode, it's near impossible to stop termination. Also it would be adding more overheads to the software.

Additional points from me;
Pro - regular monthly engine updates from Microsoft.
Con - Only updates once or twice a day.
Con - cleaning can sometimes be slow.

Cheers
Shaun

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Excellent review, I found MSE to be a bit heavy on WinXP SP3.
The other cons already mentioned in previous posts.

Thanks.:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
McLovin said:
Good review. MSE is a RAM hog on most machines but in time that might be fixed.

not good for me

Have not tried it recently but I will see how the RAM usage goes :)

I

illumination

jamescv7 said:
From MSE Site

About Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and is automatically updated to protect your PC with the latest technology.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

Before installing Microsoft Security Essentials, we recommend that you uninstall other antivirus software already running on your PC. Running more than one antivirus program at the same time can potentially cause conflicts that affect PC performance.

MSE as you said, combined with IE9, smart screen on, is a decent combo.. I installed this combo on a friends system, that had been infected running what they were, and added WOT and Lastpass, they have not had another single infection since..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.