Battle Microsoft Security Essentials 2 or AVG Free Edition 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Eh, neither.

I think AVG gets better results but you should consider this:
Windows is a closed source operating system - that means that (in an ideal world) Microsoft is the only company that really knows how to secure it, they and they alone have access to the source code and should be able to know where holes are and mitigate properly.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Eh, neither.

I think AVG gets better results but you should consider this:
Windows is a closed source operating system - that means that (in an ideal world) Microsoft is the only company that really knows how to secure it, they and they alone have access to the source code and should be able to know where holes are and mitigate properly.

So do you recommend me to stick with MSE or switch to AVG Free?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Download:
MSE: 8MB
AVG: 150 - 170MB

Ease of Use:
MSE: 4/5
AVG: 3/5

Protection:
MSE: 3/5
AVG: 4/5

Verdict:
AVG Free 2012

Based on personal opinion and does not reflect to malwaretips.com. No other information included to back up verdict.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I would go with AVG. I personally think that it'll protect you better to the point where the whole closed-source thing just isn't enough of an excuse for MSE.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Hungry Man said:
I would go with AVG. I personally think that it'll protect you better to the point where the whole closed-source thing just isn't enough of an excuse for MSE.

Yesterday I tested AVG Free against viruses, detected 16 of 20 malware links, it was very fast & light on a VM with 1GB RAM, so I think I'll go with it :)

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Based on my own personal experience, I've found that Avast has worked better for me than either of those.
How did you narrow your options down to those two?

Lindows

Aug 19, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Based on my own personal experience, I've found that Avast has worked better for me than either of those.
How did you narrow your options down to those two?

Yeah use avast! It is better than AVG. If you are going for AVG no problem, but consider that there is always a better solution....

I

illumination

I just cleaned a few trojans off a friends machine a couple days ago, they were running AVG and Google Chrome.. I replace AVG with MSE and replaced Chrome with IE9 and added WOT... I am not usually a betting man, but if i were, I would bet they are more secure now then they were..

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I Voted MSE. It's simple, easy to use and you get any extra crap. I set mine to scan incoming files only and untick the check box for scanning downloads to make it a bit lighter.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Based on my opinion, I prefer MSE since it works light and great, Haven't tested AVG Free 2012 so I can't say anything about it yet.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
AVG Free 2012 has more to offer which can be considered both a Pro and Con, if you don't like multiple processes.

Both have decent detections, so my main concern would be boot-up and web browsing performance being affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.