App Review Microsoft Security Essentials 2012 Prevention Test (MrITReviews)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
An MSE review this time. Let me know what you think of the review.

Also remember to use the Larger Player option for HD ;)

lufzI.png

>> http://youtu.be/1v56kKK8AhE

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'll copy what I wrote on the video.

• MSE has improved a lot since it's earlier days, it's minimal user interaction approach works best. Users don't to be confronted with pop-ups telling them the file is malicious and x and x needs to be done etc., they want results. This shows MSE strength compared to many other vendors with the user-interaction approach or other zero-day approaches.

Combine MSE with a tool to scan your downloads using a service from VirusTotal or similar, and a sandbox (ie. Sandboxie, Bufferzone Pro) and you'll see results that save your PC from infection. Other measures would including being aware of the sites you visit daily, the lists goes on.

Good review, MSE pulled through to detect most threats in your small samples test. The others could have been prevented as mentioned above.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Nice Test, MSE Really Improved.
User Using MSE can do some things which can help in Increasing their Protection:
  1. Add BitDefender TrafficLight etc...
  2. Add MBAM Pro & HitMan Pro(free) etc...
  3. Uninstall JAVA
  4. Regulaly Scan their FaceBook Profile using BitDefender Traffic Light & ESET Social Media Scanner.

P

Plexx

MrExplorer said:
User Using MSE can do some things which can help in Increasing their Protection:
  1. Add BitDefender TrafficLight etc...
  2. Add MBAM Pro & HitMan Pro(free) etc...
  3. Uninstall JAVA
  4. Regulaly Scan their FaceBook Profile using BitDefender Traffic Light & ESET Social Media Scanner.

All the above are optional, specially the last one. As long as safe browsing habit is applied, all the listed ones (1st, 2nd and 4th) are just for "just in case".

Uninstall Java: for users who do not need at all fair enough. For users who do occasionally require, they can simply disable it.

MSE is still favored in the majority of online gamers and those hardly get infected due to their browsing habits.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Not a bad performance by MSE based on that run. I will rethink my recent scoffs at MSE a bit.
I originally did not have issues with MSE other than it caused a significantly slower boot. I did eventually see a few VM tests that turned me off. It seems to have possibly redeemed itself a bit.

Nice job from down under in Aussietown mate!
Nice music.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Gnosis said:
Not a bad performance by MSE based on that run. I will rethink my recent scoffs at MSE a bit.
I originally did not have issues with MSE other than it caused a significantly slower boot. I did eventually see a few VM tests that turned me off. It seems to have possibly redeemed itself a bit.

Nice job from down under in Aussietown mate!
Nice music.

In the next few VM videos you could see MSE do terrible again. You could rethink your opinion about 100 times watching YouTube videos unfortunately.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Very nice.. However I still hold my grudge against MSE.
I just don't feel it meets today's need for protection also, The scans speeds are slow, Removal takes awhile and sometime it will freeze for about 15 minutes.
Always take videos as a grain of salt, You need to watch a majority of youtube reviews by TRUSTED people like Matt, McLovin (MrITReviews), etc.
and test it out yourself like I do. It does good somedays but most of the time it falls short... I also base my opionion on Real normal users such as some friends and my cousins who have used MSE in the past but it failed them.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks everyone glad you like the video. This time I was surprised on the result MSE did. Thought that I had done something to it, but as Tom said it can do well in that test, but others not so well.

A major thing MSE needs to improve on (I think) is to increase the detection rate. Who knows that might happen someday.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
In the next few VM videos you could see MSE do terrible again. You could rethink your opinion about 100 times watching YouTube videos unfortunately.

Unfortunately, that does not surprise me. MSE and SAS with Stopzilla would be a terrible suite! lol

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.