App Review Microsoft Security Essentials(bunyip783)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Every time I see these AV's catch only 75 to 85 percent of malware, it makes me glad I am virtualized.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why does it?

I'm glad I have some common sense, whilst using a PC.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think it's based from luck, more on knowledge and how focussed the user is. :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
As long as well over 50% of the population clicks on anything, and chooses to utilize little common sense, then demand will climb for idiot-proof security. If it was not for dummies, the economy would stink all around the world at all times.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Considering the amount of big corporations and Government agencies that have been hacked,I prefer to make sure I am more protected than with just common sense and knowledge.I am sure these companies and government agencies have more than their share of knowledgeable professionals.

Its like saying I wont get HIV if I use my common sense and knowledge.To each his own but I will use the condom.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not quite sure what you're saying, are you likely to get hacked?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
"Commom sense" is great.
Where your common sense leads you is the ultimate risk.
Heck, I might as well surf naked since I am so darn sharp. Right?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Earth said:
I'm not quite sure what you're saying, are you likely to get hacked?

Hacked (used as a generalization) or a virus,all the same in the end.Either way I prefer to make use of something more than just knowledge and common sense.Just my personal preference.

When I drive my car I wear my seatbelt.I know I am a good driver with much experience and a wealth of knowledge.However you never know if your going to have a head on collision with a drunk driver(hacker) or an irresponsible driver(virus).Either way I'm buckling up.

I

illumination

Earth said:
I don't think it's based from luck, more on knowledge and how focussed the user is. :D

The header to this forum should read:
"MalwareTips, your security advisor, it is real simple, dont click that"

Couldnt resist...lol

Seriously, common sense will only carry you so far.. If you have experience with certain vulnerabilities and know how to avoid them, that is great, problem is, as the internet evolves, so does malware and everything else, making the sense part of choices not always so common..

it would be like installing a simple lock on your door in a town, where crime has been ramping up over the last decade. knowing normally that this lock would be sufficient, times have changed, and one would not want to leave their family at the mercy of a simple lock, with no other means of protection. Now apply this to your families computers..

Dont know about the rest of you, but i have children, that i will not leave behind a simple solution hoping it will protect them, they have Ft. Knox all around :D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks to bunyip783 for the review and for spawning some stimulating conversation.

What this comes down to is what works for you.Personally I prefer to use the tools available to protect myself,my identity,my money,and my credit.All which I have worked very hard to get and maintain.These not only effect me but my family.

If using simple solutions works for some,that's great! A review helps you make an educated decision.Security advice should not be given out as any one specific solution but yet as the options that are available.Then the risks and rewards explained for each solution,whether that be an AV,Security Suite,Sandbox,common sense,knowledge or a combination of these.

I might be able to get away with the knowledge and common sense part but what about my family.They cruise the internet,facebook,online shopping,online banking,email and have no interest or time to listen to me give a course in using a PC armed with just common sense and knowledge.Not because they are dumb but they have no interest.Therefore I make sure all my PC's are protected to the max.Gives me one less thing to worry about.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.