Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft's Windows 10 May 2019 Update has been around for 17 months, and as usual for a spring release, that means that support is going to end in December. Specifically, it gets its last update on Patch Tuesday, which is December 8.

That means that it's time for automatic updates, something that frankly should have started a while ago. The way Windows 10 feature updates is that Microsoft only automatically updates your machine if you're on a version that's nearing the end of support, and typically that automatic upgrade period starts about six months out.

It didn't for version 1903, and you can probably thank the COVID-19 pandemic for that. Back in April, Microsoft announced that it was extending support for Windows 10 version 1809 until November, and then in June, that automatic upgrade period started for users on that version of Windows. Since 1809 and 1903 end-of-life is now a month apart, one would think that automatic upgrades would have started for 1903 users in July.

They did not. In fact, when the Windows 10 October 2020 Update shipped, Microsoft said that it would be available to "seekers" on version 1903 or higher, meaning anyone who manually sought out the update can get it.

That's changing today. Microsoft is finally starting to automatically upgrading those on version 1903 to a newer version, but strangely, not the newest one. Microsoft is going to start upgrading version 1903 to version 1909, so it should be a quick and easy upgrade that you probably won't even notice. This also means, of course, that you'll get another force upgrade within a few months, since end-of-life for version 1909 isn't far off either, at least for consumer customers.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

A lot of people will dislike this and start angry threads but in the end it's good for their own security so (y)

Anyway i don't understand why Microsoft choice 1909 build. 20H2 would be a better step as this means one less force-upgrade in future.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
A lot of people will dislike this and start angry threads but in the end it's good for their own security so (y)

Anyway i don't understand why Microsoft choice 1909 build. 20H2 would be a better step as this means one less force-upgrade in future.
Agree & everyone else's security too?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
This is the right thing to do. I always expect people not want to update, claim "this build drop 0,7% PC performance!!!", then stay three builds behind, get attacked/encrypted/infected, moan Microsoft's security sucks. I'm not saying force every update, but if the third big update is ready and Joe is still in big update #1, you should force update him.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Did your computer explode into an unusable state?
Totally. Immediately after the upgrade the system blue screened, then the computer caught fire, burnt down my house, and now I'm homeless with just my smartphone and the clothes on my back...

In all seriousness, I paused the upgrade. I didn't plan on upgrading to 2004 until January as I always perform an annual OS reinstall and allow Windows to update to the latest version then, but I guess I'll now be performing it as soon as I've got everything backed up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.