Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
“We could save you time and money,” an engineer says
Most Microsoft customers probably know that getting in touch with company support isn’t really the best idea because in 90 percent of the cases, the solutions they get are rather basic or they end up with no solution at all, but examples of how bad these help services prove to be are still surprising for everyone.

Let’s take the case of Microsoft Answer Tech expert Marvin B. When reddit user quickbrowngoat got in touch with him to ask for help to remove the “Get Windows 10” app from his computer, not only that Marvin said that this was malware but he also offered to remove the virus as part of a subscription that costs $120 (100 Euro).

But let’s take these things one at a time.

First, the Get Windows 10 app. As you probably heard already, Microsoft’s offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to those running genuine Windows 7 or 8.1 on their PCs. To make the upgrade possible, the company installs an application called “Get Windows 10” on these computers via Windows Update, thus displaying notifications in the system tray to check for compatibility issues and let the user know that a newer OS version is available.

But these notifications cannot be stopped unless users turn to third-party apps or more complex workarounds to do it, so it’s not surprising that some people contact Microsoft Support for help.

Meet Marvin
What Marvin did in this case was to incorrectly refer to the “Get Windows 10” app as malware and offer the user a subscription to a technical support plan that also provides malware removal services in exchange for $120 per year.

If you read the full conversation below, it might sound like Marvin is some sort of phone scammer who only tries to sell his paid services, even though he clearly states that “I don’t make or know anything about sales.”

In the end, Marvin failed not only to resolve the man’s problem but also to sell the premium services. And what’s worse is that he proved once again how useless Microsoft’s support services sometime really are.

Full conversation screenshots here Microsoft Support Says “Get Windows 10” App Is Malware, Wants $120 to Remove It

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
A friend's machine forced win 10 install without asking anything nice business model Microsoft, well done.

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's the problem from support tech, usually if you are a caller that does not know everything then a basic tactic will fall easily.

Only few reliable persons [tech support] can genuinely help you out from the problem. :)

f1computerexperts

Feb 10, 2014
This person is not associated with Microsoft. It's another one of those fake "Windows support" dudes, the ones that call people saying they have a virus on their computer and need to remote access it for $$$$$. Those MS MVP's online are generally incompetent, but not fraudsters. I guarantee you that "Marvin" is NOT a MS employee!!! No way.

Reactions: upnorth

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
@f1computerexperts Microsoft Support is useless. I contacted them months ago asking about how the licensing system works on W10 (because I had a "generic" key like all the people). Their support asked me to remote assist me and I accepted. They tried to run some commands on powershell (without any success) and then he said the best thing to do was to format to W10 again because everyone should have a unique key LOL.

Btw, I contacted their support via microsoft.com ;)

Edit: Ahh and in the end of the session he asked me if I wanted to buy their support service package for 100$+ (Assure Support Plan).

Last edited:
Reactions: f1computerexperts

f1computerexperts

Feb 10, 2014
I agree with you that MS is pretty useless, and that they do have have a support plan. However, GWX is not a virus, although there are reports of a trojan GWX out there. I think I may have read that on here. I still don't believe the conversation was really with Microsoft. As much as I think the support system is horrible, they wouldn't claim that GWX is a virus and try to sell them a support plan IMHO. If you surf without an adblocker you see all kinds of scams including windows support, norton support, msn support etc........... I think they called a scammer.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Another proof on what outsourcing give us all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.