Solved Microsoft Tech Scam---07/08/15---Step Son Allowed Access

bmanley

Thread author
Jul 15, 2015
Step son received phone call from a scam artist and he thought he was helping me out (son did that is). Gave remote access to computer, it appears they used ammy, or at least that is what I can see. I don't really know what they did because I was not at home at the time. I researched the scam and performed the suggested actions (malware bytes, junkware, adware, emsisoft, hitman pro). I noticed that the system was sluggish before this, ran the programs and it seems to be better, but I am concerned there is a key logger or something else hiding out there I can't find.

I backed up my computer, made recovery disk, and will back up again. I plan on upgrading to windows 10, when it is released, and would like to wipe the hard drive, but I don't know if I will be allowed to before hand. If anyone can check out my files and see if I am missing something, or offer further suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

This is been a lesson for me and plan on taking better precautionary steps to avoid this madness next time. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Addition_15-07-2015_17-47-47.txt
    37.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FRST_15-07-2015_17-47-47.txt
    48.3 KB · Views: 2
  • AdwCleaner[S2].txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 0

bmanley

Thread author
Jul 15, 2015
Thank you for the response. I am not experiencing issues that I can tell so far, now that I ran all the suggestions. I did notice before when I checked my task manager, that the cpu was maxing out at 100% and very little was running. Post cleanup, it longer does that when I check.

This was another check to make sure I haven't missed something.I am probably just being paranoid, but having never experienced this before, I wanted to pursue all methods before declaring it clean.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.