Microsoft to Disable SMBv1 in Windows Starting This Fall

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
The user is always responsible for what happens on their system:

"There are vendors who are not publishing their SMB1 requirements. It is up to you, their customer, to have them publish this information – Microsoft cannot make them do so."

"SMB1 has been deprecated for years and will be removed by default from many editions and SKUs of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 in the RS3 release."

Anyway, except for the printers and wifi speakers, all the products listed are essentially Enterprise products and some products are absolutely obsolete.

Well said. Regarding Disabling SMBv1 (if you are positive it will not affect your system), I went to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn a Windows Feature on or off > SMB 1.0/CFIS File Sharing Service.

Now disabled.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Well said. Regarding Disabling SMBv1 (if you are positive it will not affect your system), I went to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn a Windows Feature on or off > SMB 1.0/CFIS File Sharing Service.

Now disabled.
Like i did since years.
I found funny those vendors promoting or advertising that their products block Eternalblue/DP when the attack itself is not even efficient on a modern patched OS...Not saying home users weren't even being the real targets, they were collateral damages.

Marketing is all that was about...spread fear to sell...

Reactions: Andy Ful

Now disabled.

SMBv1 is still enabled on my Win10 1703 systems. They're patched against the vulnerability so I don't worry about it. Even if they weren't patched, I still wouldn't worry about it. Beyond SMBv1 being enabled, there are other conditions that must be satisfied for the system to be at-risk. Hence, I am not concerned about it.

However, it is a good idea to disable it as a preventative measure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.