Expired Microsoft to give away 100GB of OneDrive space for one year to 100,000 people

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
onedrive_logoqqw.jpg

On Tuesday, Microsoft celebrated the one year anniversary of the official Outlook.com launch with a Twitter-based giveaway. Today, to celebrate the renaming of SkyDrive to OneDrive, Microsoft will also be giving a nice boost in storage space to 100,000 users.

Microsoft's Angus Logan, the Group Product Marketing Manager for OneDrive, told us that at some point today, the company will announce on the official OneDrive Twitter account the start of the 100GB. After it begins, the first 100,000 people who sign onto their OneDrive account will get 100GB of extra storage space for one year. That's on top of the 7GB of space Microsoft normally offers and also on top of the extra free space that users can earn if they use the photo storage feature and get their friends to use OneDrive.

Of course, Microsoft has offered large amounts of free space on SkyDrive/OneDrive in the past. In fact, people who buy the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 tablets can still get 200GB of OneDrive space for two years. If any of them also manage to get the 100GB of free space Microsoft will be giving out today, that means they will have a whopping 300GB of free cloud storage for a rather long time.

Update: The OneDrive Twitter account has started the 100GB giveaway in an unusual way: it has posted up a puzzle that needs to be solved to get the details on how to access the extra storage

#OneDrive is here, as is your chance to win 100 GB FREE storage. Solve the puzzle for detailshttp://t.co/DlYQsymonT pic.twitter.com/ciNyiyp4gd

Update 2: A few people on Twitter claim to have solved the puzzle, saying that the 100GB giveaway begins at 11:11 am Pacific Time (2:11 pm Eastern Time). At that time the first 100,000 people who sign onto their OneDrive account will get the extra space for a year.

Reactions: Venustus

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
In fact, giving 100GB just for 1 year is stupid, but whatever...:cool: They need to promote OneDrive somehow

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you're after functionality with the Windows OS, Windows Phone 8 and Office, then OneDrive is a boss (imo). They could beat Google, if they advertise the Web Apps better.

But if you just want maximum online storage, then another service may be better for you. Sign up for Mega, Bitcasa, Box, Dropbox, Wuala etc., and you could technically have over 1TB of free storage in single place, all combined with JoliCloud.
http://lifehacker.com/5990590/jolidrive-combines-all-your-cloud-services-into-one

Reactions: yigido
Y

yigido

If you're after functionality with the Windows OS, Windows Phone 8 and Office, then OneDrive is a boss (imo). They could beat Google, if they advertise the Web Apps better.

But if you just want maximum online storage, then another service may be better for you. Sign up for Mega, Bitcasa, Box, Dropbox, Wuala etc., and you could technically have over 1TB of free storage in single place, all combined with JoliCloud.
http://lifehacker.com/5990590/jolidrive-combines-all-your-cloud-services-into-one
Yes you are right but lets be serious very few number of user use this size of storage :rolleyes: Human beings are greedy..

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I use MEGA, and can barely fill up 50GB with photos, music and documents... and MEGA released desktop sync app a few days ago for faster uploads and management, it provides one of the best encryption online and it's free.

Reactions: yigido

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most basic online storage have desktop or mobile sync software. Congratz.

For other online storages you can use Boxcryptor, or another cloud encryption software and is compatible with most big name brands, including Wuala, Dropbox, Ubuntu One etc.

I have used Mega previously, but my publicly uploaded files were getting flagged with a take down notice, even if they were legitimate files. In the end, I terminated my account.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Most basic online storage have desktop or mobile sync software. Congratz.

For other online storages you can use Boxcryptor, or another cloud encryption software and is compatible with most big name brands, including Wuala, Dropbox, Ubuntu One etc.

I have used Mega previously, but my publicly uploaded files were getting flagged with a take down notice, even if they were legitimate files. In the end, I terminated my account.
Yeah...
Boxcryptor 5GB
Dropbox 2GB
Wuala 5GB
Ubuntu One 5GB
MEGA 50GB
Shared.com 100GB

and also all data sent to Mega.co.nz is encrypted with a user-created, 2048-bit RSA key before it leaves your computer. Nobody can decrypt your data, not even the Mega.co.nz employees, as long as you do not tell anyone else the encryption key that you created. Even the file names are encrypted although you can see them after entering the encryption key. If some person does manage to hack in and copy the data you uploaded (which is unlikely), the result will be useless without the encryption key. He or she cannot even see the file names or tell where one file ends and the next begins. This guarantees safety of your data. In fact, there is no option to upload unencrypted data; everything is always encrypted. With Mega.co.nz, you control the encryption, you hold the keys, and you decide who you grant or deny access to your files with no risky requirement to install any software.
Dunno why they were flagged, never happened to me :rolleyes:

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
100 GB for one year? why even bother trying to get it if they will only eventually take it back?
One can just go to yunio.com and get 1TB secure cloud storage PLUS 1 GB extra for everyday you use it absolutely free no strings attached.

To all those cloud services that are still only offering 5, 10, 25, and 50 GB storage, your just not needed when I can get it all in one place.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.