Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft has decided to roll back its decision to add the Downloads folder to the Windows 10 Disk Cleanup program after receiving negative feedback from users.

The Windows 10 Disk Cleanup program allows users to quickly free up hard drive space by removing unneeded files found in a variety of system locations. These locations include temporary files, the Recycle Bin, Thumbnails, old Windows Update files, etc.

With the release of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Microsoft quietly added the Downloads folder as an additional option to the Disk Cleanup program, which when selected would cause the files in that folder to be deleted as well.

Read the rest of article here:

Personally I'm happy that they will remove this option again, was a big risk when they suddenly added that folder (y)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
... and fix the Downloads folder to stop the "Group by/ Date modified" view as unchangeable default. I hate this.
qODqo00.png

L

Local Host

I personally don't mind it as an option since it's disabled by default.
Agreed, plus you can manage it easily, so people only lost files if they wanted to,
1573148926243.png

This exactly the same as all the whining when Microsoft fixed the duplicate folders (when using KFR), casual users misusing KFR whined they lost files during the upgrade (I'm still somewhat annoyed Microsoft rollback the fix, because of casual users using features they don't understand).
... and fix the Downloads folder to stop the "Group by/ Date modified" view as unchangeable default. I hate this.
qODqo00.png
Nothing to fix, was a feature highly requested and can be changed/disabled.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Nothing to fix, was a feature highly requested and can be changed/disabled.
Color me ignorant. Disabled? How so? It takes 3-4 clicks to get the view I want. Then, close/reopen File Explorer and it reverts to group by date modified.

And it has no effect if you relocated your Downloads folder to another partition, as I have.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
All the outrage is caused by the notion, that it used to be enabled by default. Luckily I run cleanup with pre-applied settings, otherwise I would be angry too, my most important files (used daily) are in the Downloads, since it is the only folder, which can be setup as the startup folder. :rolleyes:

Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Active Setup Temp Folders" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\BranchCache" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Content Indexer Cleaner" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\D3D Shader Cache" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Delivery Optimization Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Device Driver Packages" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Diagnostic Data Viewer database files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Downloaded Program Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\DownloadsFolder" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\GameNewsFiles" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\GameStatisticsFiles" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\GameUpdateFiles" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Internet Cache Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Offline Pages Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Old ChkDsk Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Previous Installations" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Recycle Bin" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\RetailDemo Offline Content" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Service Pack Cleanup" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Setup Log Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\System error memory dump files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\System error minidump files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary Setup Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary Sync Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnail Cache" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Update Cleanup" /v "Autorun" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Update Cleanup" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Upgrade Discarded Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\User file versions" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Windows Defender" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Windows Error Reporting Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Windows ESD installation files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Windows Upgrade Log Files" /v "StateFlags6553" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
rem cleanmgr /sageset:6553
cleanmgr /sagerun:6553
capture_11082019_111302.jpg

Thanks, but I do that and then when I close/reopen File Explorer, it is back to "Date Modified"... nothing is disabled.
You can use this to setup the desired view for all folders. Run this to remove/reset all custom views:
Code:
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell" /v "FolderType" /t REG_SZ /d "NotSpecified" /f
Then Open Explorer - Choose the desired View - View - Options - View - Apply to Folders - OK - Close Explorer ASAP.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.