Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems

H

hjlbx

Capposella said: ' “so incredibly important to try to end the fragmentation of the Windows install base” and to get users to a “safer place”.'

BS... scare tactic.

If you carefully read Microsoft's Annual Report for Shareholders, ending the "fragmented Windows install base" is completely about $$$. The intent is to save hundreds of millions of $$$ by supporting fewer Windows versions - in other words, reducing expenses by increasing efficiency.

Microsoft created the fragmented Windows install base in the first place !

The company cannot reasonably expect users to jump on-board willy-nilly with W10 so it can meet its established reorganization and financial goals.

I guess the rumors are true. First it will be forced updates, then scare tactics, followed by different forced updates, next EULA amendments that require W10 "upgrades", afterwards shorten\terminate support for pre-W10 versions,...

M$ is not even worthy of worm dung...

I make no apologies, I just do not like the M$ policy-makers - in no uncertain terms.

Last edited by a moderator:

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
So after all these years of the OS supposedly being problematic M$ now chooses to apprise users?! This sound suspiciously like fear-mongering to get the Windows 7 users who remain loyal to the OS to upgrade to Windows 10.

H

hjlbx

So after all these years of the OS supposedly being problematic M$ now chooses to apprise users?! This sound suspiciously like fear-mongering to get the Windows 7 users who remain loyal to the OS to upgrade to Windows 10.

Exactly...

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
So there was a time Microsoft was sued 'coz Windows shipped with IE or something like that. And now come to think of it, Microsoft probably owns most software we use in our daily lives. It's OK Microsoft, we have protection from other softwares :p

Going to use Windows 7 until Windows 11 comes out , and then start using Windows 10 :p

S

Smith83

Translation: We don't like the fact that Windows 7 provides the consumer so much freedom over their own devises.

Also, they will send out updates that crash windows 7, and that upgrade to windows spy version 10 icon in the trey looks better every day.

This is how my updates look, I download and test malware. Visit the hell out of shady sites, use torrents. All while having no antivirus installed on my system.

I never install updates, what a load of CRAP!!

2016-01-03_16h38_05.png

There is no need for security software or updates, for the home user. Only paying attention to what you are doing, if a hacker wants to hack you, there is nothing you can do. Which is why I do back up my files once or twice a week.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Also, they will send out updates that crash windows 7, and that upgrade to windows spy version 10 icon in the trey looks better every day.

This is how my updates look, I download and test malware. Visit the hell out of shady sites, use torrents. All while having no antivirus installed on my system.

I never install updates, what a load of CRAP!!

There is no need for security software or updates, for the home user. Only paying attention to what you are doing, if a hacker wants to hack you, there is nothing you can do. Which is why I do back up my files once or twice a week.

Updates are provided for a reason. Home user should install OS Updates, aside from the upgrade to windows 10 update.

That is all I have to say in that respect.

As for the article in question, they basically did the same thing with XP and Windows 8 respectively, just not that public. Nothing new here.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If there track record is any indication the next version of Windows will be a dud.How can they even say this when they still support the OS :confused: Don't be fooled as it is always about $ and I am sure Microsoft thought they were going to hook everyone with the Windows 10 free upgrade.They have tried the strong arm approach to upgrading and then loosened their grip a bit but that is still not working as they planned.As for updates these should be installed for any user as this might not prevent falling prey to a hacker but it will close some doors and make it harder for them.
I personally would not advise the average home user to not use any security software and definitely not installing OS updates.

S

Smith83

Updates are provided for a reason. Home user should install OS Updates

Yeah, to trash your computer. Think about it, they sell operating systems. Why if I sell rain jackets, do I prey for a drought??? I have had this laptop for 6 months, and have no issues with security games I play, anything, so what are updates for??? My desktop has been running for 6 years, also windows 7 no updates and guess what, no issues....

N

NOLF92

Updates are provided for a reason. Home user should install OS Updates, aside from the upgrade to windows 10 update.

That is all I have to say in that respect.

As for the article in question, they basically did the same thing with XP and Windows 8 respectively, just not that public. Nothing new here.

I have to agree with this. Though, I'm a bit skeptical about some of the security updates. If they can't get people to upgrade to Windows 10 because of their distrust in Windows 10's privacy features, then they might considering making do by adding those features to Win 7. That's a shady practice IMO, and only increases my suspicion that some of their intentions aren't exactly honest, even if their intentions are good.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Updates are provided for a reason. Home user should install OS Updates
True, I would agree with that. However, M$ has had a somewhat spotty track record with providing consistently benign updates. Hence why I never allow my systems to auto update. I always wait a week, or two, after the latest release and watch the commentary from users who applied the updates before I do a manual update. Which is why I will not upgrade to Windows 10 Home edition because it does not provide for that control, instead forcing the updates on users.

they basically did the same thing with XP and Windows 8 respectively, just not that public. Nothing new here.
Very true.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have to agree with this. Though, I'm a bit skeptical about some of the security updates. If they can't get people into Windows 10 because of peoples distrust in Windows 10's new privacy features (like myself), then they could simply do their best to add those features to Win 7.
They have put out some bad updates which have caused some problems however for the most part these are necessary for many reasons and not just security.
The privacy issues can be easily circumvented although maybe not for the average home user.Then again if you have ever fixed a PC for the average home user you will find that they do not seem terribly concerned with their privacy.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah, to trash your computer. Think about it, they sell operating systems. Why if I sell rain jackets, do I prey for a drought??? I have had this laptop for 6 months, and have no issues with security games I play, anything, so what are updates for??? My desktop has been running for 6 years, also windows 7 no updates and guess what, no issues....
Whether Linux or Windows, OS Updates are recommended specifically to fix issues.
It is the same as running updated software. Bugs are fixed, vulnerabilities are fixed etc.

Please bear in mind that a lot of MT traffic is not based on expert users, so your comments which are biased will just misinform users who visit the site for knowledge.

Keep that in mind.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
True, I would agree with that. However, M$ has had a somewhat spotty track record with providing consistently benign updates. Hence why I never allow my systems to auto update. I always wait a week, or two, after the latest release and watch the commentary from users who applied the updates before I do a manual update. Which is why I will not upgrade to Windows 10 Home edition because it does not provide for that control, instead forcing the updates on users.
Installing updates in terms of when is fine. I do not install straight away either. But on the same token I do not ignore updates completely.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I understand that, I am no moron. It really is safe for EVERYONE to disable updates, and get them on an as needed basis....
dont misunderstand, no one is insulting here. But telling people to disable updates and not update their OS is not the best of practice.

You can instead say for people to install with delays and pick and choose, like others above have said.

Nothing more to add.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.